1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Echo SRM-280S...will it last 21 years?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Jun 22, 2013.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So far I like the head. Hasn't come apart yet. I was surprised at how little trimmer line Echo gives you when new! I swear when the dealer showed me all about this new head that it had like 5 feet of line in it!

I like it as the string eyelets are closer to the ground. With that and the large smooth head, I can "mow" large areas and not accidentally tap the head and let line out when not needed. I'm saving line like crazy. Old head lets out like 3" of line/tap. This one is like 1" or so.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'll have to look into removing that top piece. That or ill have the dealer swap the whole thing over to an older trigger style. It's just so stiff and touchy. Hard to get RPM' just right.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It's just how I learned over the years.

Like I said above, my factory head was bump happy. Always tapping and advancing when not needed. I couldn't see having to carry snips around or wind it back in several times per lawn.

Plus....knife snipped line cuts better than frayed. I also flipped the knife around and drilled two new holes so I get a bigger swath than factory.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I tried the edging about 10 years ago. I hated that I got suction when "mowing" with it. It would suck itself to the ground. That and my extra line issue , as there is no more knife to cut off accidentally bumped extra line.

This thing wasn't babied! I go through at least 2 tankfuls a day now, and with my other job, I don't start until 1PM ! I have been slowly dwindling my customer list over the past 4 years due to my other job. I'm not saying it gets used 3 hrs a day, 6 days a week like yours, but at least an hour a day, 6 days a week for the past 4 years. I cut more grass part time then some guys do full time! lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I'll be getting in there soon if they still have spark arrestor screens in them. We'll see.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

7. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2502 that keep as a backup. It still runs pretty good as well. I think my dad bought it in the late 80s or early 90s

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Loving the Lazer! Less trimming, better, no, much better cut, and it laughs at hills!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess my main issue is the stiffness and non-pinky finger friendly trigger throttle.

It would be ok if I could set a detent at like 1/3 throttle, and not have to mess with it.

Maybe this RED technology on my Lazer has got me throttle less spoiled!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there is alot to be said for being an owner/operator and gear lasting. I have been using an older Echo pas since like 05'. I know what you mean about the older trigger and throttle. I tried a friends stihl trimmer for a few days and couldn't every once get the rpms where I wanted it. I hardly ever have to wind it up even half throttle on my echo but the Stihl seemed like it was on or off ...lol I have worried that the new echos would be like this as well.