New Echo SRM-280S...will it last 21 years?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Jun 22, 2013.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

My echo 260 T runs great at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle i edge around 1/2 throttle . Im gonna look at the 280 this week. I only buy echo trimmers.

2. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the SRM 280 last week and so far so good,Very powerful. I stll need some hours on in to get it mastered.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Gulfjoe, does yours have same trigger as mine?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. +1 on that. I can't believe that people who do this for a living keep the guard on their trimmers. Then again, his trimmer lasted 21 years.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So the speed you gain being able to trim 360 around a sewer pipe, is negated in my situation because I'd be constantly stopping to wind back in or snip the excess that accidentally bumps out.

There is no way that I'd be comfortable with 3' of line hanging out.

I was hoping that we could save the guard on/off discussions for the 937 other guard on/off threads already here on Lawnsite !!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have only been able to get 3 to 5 years out of my Echo's. That is with using synthetic oil and 89 octane. I just use them for parts and go buy another one at Home Cheapo:rolleyes: I do believe not taking the guard off did this last one in. Just seemed to run hotter after the string got too long sometimes when accidentally bumped. Oh well, it lasted longer than most.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've always said, if you can buy it at Home Depot, it isn't the same quality as what you'd get at a saw shop or mower shop.

For instance, I don't believe you can buy a 280 at HD.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

They don't have em in the store but you can get em online from HD. They also sell Tanakas
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'll stick to a dealer. HD isn't going to adjust a carb or perform warranty work!