New Echo Trimmer Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brad, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Brad

Brad LawnSite Member

Just got a new Echo trimmer. Very nice piece of equipment, but am having hard time getting used to the operation. Been quite a bit posted about ccw vs cw spinning. This spins ccw as you look down on the head while holding. I hold the engine end in my right had and the handle in my left. Try to walk to my right with the trimmer head a bit behind to prevent the string from digging in and dragging the head into the dirt, but can't seem to get it right. Tried left handed and that was worse. No control. Keeps wanting to dig in. I know the problem is with the holding and stance, but just need a hint or 2 on what I am doing wrong. Just about gotten used to the machine having a clutch by now, so if I can get the maneuvering down, I might have in conquered!

Thanks
    Brad

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

My pas-260 does fine. I walk to the right and don't dig in. I am a lefty so I hold it the opposite way you do. I have used echo for 4 years so I am pretty good at it. You could also be walking too fast or slow. You need to find the perfect pace for the machine. You will get used to it after a couple of times.

What model is you machine? If it has a small engine that could be you problem.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Metro36

I wonder why you walk to the right being a lefty. It would seem natural to walk to the left. I have two workers who are leftys and they walk to the left which is ideal with a straight shaft trimmer as when they go around beds the trimmer pulls the clippings away from the bed rather then throwing them into it.

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I walk to the right. I don't know why I posted that. I was only thinking of one spot at my house. Normally I walk to the left. All of the trimming go on the grass not the beds.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter which direction you walk you got to learn how to keep the tip of the cord at the correct height. It takes our workers about 6 months of constant trimming to be perfect, so don't give up. Most people don't have strength to hold the unit up when they start and that creates more problems. You should trim with the tip of the cord.