New Echo weedeaters shafts breaking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boozoo, May 16, 2008.

1. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

I have 2 new Echo 2601's which are both way less than one season old, yet one has had the shaft break once and the other twice! I've always used this model Echo, never had this problem before,and my helper and I are using them or maintaining them any differently than we always have. Are they being made much cheaper, anyone else experienced or heard of this?

Thanks, Boozoo

2. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

what did the dealer say? I assume you got warranty replacements.

3. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

Wouldn't 2601's be old stock? I haven't seen those new in quite awhile (At least 5 years ago). Did you just buy them or were they in storage for awhile? Anyways, my dad's crew has a few 261T's and I haven't seen one shaft break on those models. They usually cut huge "anise/licorice" bushes up in norcal that grow up to 5 feet in height with 1" stalks with the brushcutting or trimmer line for te smaller ones.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Guard on, or off?

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess more important is what are you cutting with them.....got the saw attachment on it?

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

SRM2601? They haven't been around in like 5 years?

Anyhow, if you have the guards off, you are running too much line which is twisting up the shafts and causing them to break. Your clutch will be gone next.

Yes, it is because you took the guard off.

This is why i sell the SRM260S. The S model has the solid steel drive shaft and i perfer it even over the T model because even the T has the flex shaft.

Yes , it is because you took the guard off. Put it back on.

Manufacturers make these guards for a reason. For the same reason they offer you a LIMITED WARRANTY.

No guardy, no Warranty. That's simple. Taking the guard off damages the gearbox, shaft, clutch, bearing housing, and can cause the engine to overheat. You might not ever had a problem in 10 years and blah blah blah, but one day you will, so don't complain.

7. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Correction, they are 261's, and they are flex shaft, not solid. And yes, we run without the guards, but sorry, I'm not buying the inevitability of problems because the guard is off. We don't put too much line out for the simple reason that they don't cut as well. We're not newcomers. And as I "blah,blah,blahed" this is no different than we've operated for 15 years (same two guys), and we've NEVER had a shaft break, even though some trimmers have been used 4+ seasons. We've had these 2 break multiple times in less than 3 months. So it seems reasonable to suspect something other than your implied misuse.

Sorry I'm late in getting back on this post. We're swamped.

Thanks for replies, Jamey

8. ECHO4LIFE

ECHO4LIFE LawnSite Member

taking the guard off will effect the performance of the machine. They are designed to run a certain level w/17" of string. Using the trimmer without the guard will slow the head speed, cause premature clutch wear and lower your fuel performance. It would be comparable to putting over sized aggressive tires on your truck and pulling a trailer and expecting the same gas mileage as stock. ECHO has a lifetime warranty on their inner shafts (both solid and flexible) as well as a lifetime warranty on their ignition module. If you having abnormal failures on the shafts I would take to a ECHO dealer and have his diagnose. It may not be the shaft failing, but another problem causing the shafts to fail. Hope this helps

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Get these shafts replaced under warranty and put the guard back on. :hammerhead:
    Not too hard to understand, is it?

10. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Taking the guard off only affects wear if you consistently put too much line out.
    And I can't stand the guards, they lower visibility and functionality. The only "guard" I can tolerate is an EDGIT. Now I love those, even if my helper is not as crazy about them; but I'm sure the EDGIT has been debated once or twice on this forum.

I wonder, does the use of an EDGIT violate warranty (I haven't used it on my new ECHO's).

Thanks, Jamey