New Edger Advice ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sda1416, Aug 2, 2005.

1. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

In the market for a new edger and was wondering what you guys prefer and what works the best. Been thinking of going with a stick edger, but have been pulled toward a walk behind type also. What do you guys use and prefer ?
  2. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

any help ?
  3. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

stick edger is good choice...maneuverability is incredible. true, for really overgrown edges a walkbehind edger is better. but i'll stick with my stick edger. try a search on this bc theres a lot of posts about different edgers on here that helped me make my decision.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't have an edger yet, and you are buying your No. 1 edger, go with a walkbehind. There are just too many times that you need the power, you are cuting thicker stuff, and you have bigger jobs that a stickedger is too much fatigue. A stick edger is great, it's handy, it's portable, it's quick, and all that yada yada yada, but bottom line is, they are best for existing edges. I have the Stihl FS85 straight shaft stickedger, and it gets used all the time. However, if you are using it for more than 5 minutes at a time, it is impracticle. You can go through all the wrestling with it and keeping the blade forced down into the groove with your lower hand, OR you could be walking along not carrying the weight and holding on with two fingers on each handle. The wheeled edger has MUCH more power, too. Try the McClane...for the money/machine value, you can't lose.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Runner on what he said, I have a craftsman that is 10 years old and Ive had good luck and service from the machine
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I strongly disagree with Runner.

Unless you are trenching out large widths of dirt or doing edging like they do up north where you buy a special "edger" that costs $2500, then get a stick edger.

I have run both and the time saved by using the stick for you maintained edges more than makes up for any slight loss of time on creating a new edge in over growth.

Suggestion for overgrowth. cut an edge (forward and backwards) then use your wacker to burn it down to dirt, then either wait till next week when it dies out to remove, or use your spade to scoop it up.

Very hotly debated topic. Really boils down to how you use the equipment.

Here we edge every property every week. a WB edger would take FOREVER. If you do it once a quarter, then MAYBE the WB would be easier.

Do a search there should be about a years worth of reading on the debate.
  7. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

I was given an old ( late '80s model ) Craftsman edger last weekend. It is an Eager-1 WB type. All I need to do is get it running and get a new blade for it, and the belt is alittle dry rotted. I squirted some starting fliud in it and it fired so I will probaly clean the carb and tank out maybe this weekend. I was thinking of using it to straighten up some raggedy egdes then using the trimmer to keep them lookin sharp.
  8. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Walk behind are far superior as far as power. You cannot use a stick edger on non-existing edges. If you're picking up new customers who havent had a company doing the work, you're going to find you're cutting a lot of sod snakes. A walk behind is well worth it. And I can walk behind an edger as fast as i can with a stick edger, but that's just me.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Kind of depends on what you are using it for. To just maintain or to make the initail kerf. You can buy a used walkbehind out of hte paper almost any day of the week for 60 bucks (I paid 40 for a used McClane for my Dad one year) and then buy a stick as well.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Agreed 100%. I have always had stick edgers and never tried a walk behind. For cutting new edges I beleive a walk behind would be a bit easier as with a stick edger you have to force it into the ground to cut a groove, but for maintaining edges, a stick edger has to be alot faster, plus its easier to store/transport IMHO, just stick it in the trimmer rack on the trailer instead of hustling extra truck/trailer space for it, then securing it to keep it from rolling, etc.

I had an Echo edger, it was OK. I'm not thrilled with the Echo engines. Don't care for how they start and run. A year ago I bought a Stihl FC85 stick edger new and really pleased with it. A freind was using Echo till he tried my Stihl, made him a beleiver too, he went and bought a FC85 just like mine. I think they discontinued the FC85 but one place here had a few left over and had an incredible deal on them, $90 off normal price! I bought mine right before that sale, at a different place but my friend saved money. I think they still had one left when he bought his a month or two ago.

I have tried the new 110 Stihl trimmers and I think I would really love if that engine were on an edger (which they do sell)... Lots of power, quiet and smooth plenty of torque for edging.... but its more $$$ than an FC85.