New Electric OCDC?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dixie Cutters, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking of designing a new, cheaper, stronger, better, more reliable, etc. electric OCDC over the winter for possible limited production/testing to some lucky few. Right now I am looking for some suggestions of what features you like that you think I should try to include. Im really open to anything right now, just in the drawing stages. Please let me know what you think.

2. MowforMoney

MowforMoney LawnSite Member

Don't Know of any suggestions, but think its a great idea. I know for sure if it worked good I would buy it in a minute, I get tired of the manual one. I only close it if I go by a bed or car or somthing along those lines. Good luck!
  3. Dixie Cutters

keep them coming guys
  4. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

go to a salvage yard and try to find an electric motor for car windows and get the switches for it while your at it. then you will only have to design hinges and such.... I have thought about this a little in the past. Good Luck...
  5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Design it so you can have it either manual are electric, and you could upgrade to electric if your bugets tight and buy the manual on first. You could have adjustable breather holes on the plate. Make sure a accelerator grass catcher can be put on with out taking the ocdc off, if it will fit on any walk behinds.
  6. Dixie Cutters

Thanks guys,
    I thought about something to ask yall. How do you reccomend I plan on attaching the motor to the deck? Just thought I'd get some feedback from yall. See what you think. Also, if anyone owns an EZChute (ZTR or WB) and/or a Qwikchute please PM me I need to talk with you.

Edit: Also need to talk to someone who owns a masterchute with a walkbehind electrical switch :)

Thanks a ton..
  7. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

On something like this.... would a simple servo work instead of motor. It would be smaller and lighter, Electic motors for windows are kinda bulky. I wonder if a toggle (up and down positions only would work) I don't personally use an OCDC but I think it is a great idea. also check the availability of weather tight switches and connectors before production. I would posssibly check into the switches that are on like the ride-on spreaders. To make the air restriction changeable could you use a sliding plate that matches the plate itself with a small manual thumb screw? Just some ideas.

Good Luck
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Your gonna need a reverse polarity switch n you'll also find that a power window motor is the easy way to go .... a little sevo gonna get burned out in 1 season

I got my switch at Radio Shack
  9. Dixie Cutters

Yea I dont think a servo is built for ths type of aplication. Good idea though. I forgot about radio shack :) Ill look around there tommorrow. Im goin go to need a reversible polarity switch for both a walkbehind and ride on. Im thinking a truck window switch for WB's and some type of foot switch for ZTRs. Does anyone have a pic of the switches that are used on ride-on spreaders? This may be something to look into. Ii like the idea about the adjustable holes. I was thinking about having a plate on top of another plate that slides to adjust hole size like on those travel salt and pepper shakers. However, I dont think the motor could handle that weight, so Im thinking ill just make interchangeable plates?