New electrical snafu for me.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jun 1, 2012.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I had to troubleshoot a non functioning valve yesterday. I had voltage at the solenoid but would not function. Installed another solenoid and still not operational. Same with a third. WTF??

I then put my meter in with the connections. As soon as I connected any of the solenoids, the voltage disappeared. I had only the common and the "hot" in the valve box. I was only a foot from where the cable left the building so I opened the cable and spliced in new wires to the box and all is well. The installer did not use waterproof wire nuts in the box so I think he used them underground as well. Nice guy that doofus.

I did not excavate in this situation but anticipate that in the future it will be needed as the remaining boxes are a long ways away.

John

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of troubleshooting poorly installed irrigation wiring.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

what were yovr restance measurements john. did you measure your short to earth and your vac potentials. what about amperage measurements. you have a situation that will be made easier if you can list and compare results
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Just because you have the necessary voltage doesn't mean you have the necessary current. See the above post (Jim's).

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Welcome to the world of ground faults and breaks. I got my feet wet on this last year on a golf course with 500 yard long runs of wire (talk about jumping straight into the frying pan). With the help of the good folks on this forum I was able to learn and somewhat conquer this. I actually don't run across this much in residential.

6. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

This was my first time where the voltage would disappear when a load was hooked up. In the past, if I had voltage, the solenoid would operate.

I did not do any measurements as to common to ground, etc.. I expect more trouble in the future on this property. And I expect the problems to be the same.

Where the installer branched out to the individual boxes, he simply brought the hot and common to the box underground. Saved a few pennies by not bringing the cable into the box but instead just brought the individual conductors. I am sure he used non waterproof wire nuts underground to continue the common.

John

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure the client is overjoyed. :rolleyes:

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure your old ;)

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Amen to that!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

You can find all kind's of problem's in all kind's of electrical thing's because of bad connection's all of the time.