New employee - beer at lunch

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, May 19, 2007.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have several new employees as of late. On Friday, one of my new employees had a beer from a quick store at lunch. Another new employee mentioned it to me.

How could he possibly think that that would be OK to do?

I also did a background check on the guy -- after I hired him, and there is a long list of many burgurlarys, and some prison time.

The same day, the same employee was involved in a argument with someone else on the crew.

Should I kick him to the curb? or have a serious talk with him?

2. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

Did you mention that there is no drinking alowed on the job? Yes, this is common sense but, did you mention it. What equipment does he use? Use of any power equipment or sharp objects means no alchohol or drugs that may/might/could possibly (including prescription) impare judgement or speed of reflexes. Did you ask about any criminal background? If you did and he said none or nothing to do with burglary, then he lied and is absolutely completely, totally entitled to look for another job. If he told you about his past, you basically are stuck with him till you find another reason, like arguing with crew members, drinking on the job....wait, that's two strikes there, was he late? Fire him, now, before you lose your business or worse, someone gets hurt.

3. Gene $immons

I did not mention there was no drinking during work hours.

I did not ask him about any past criminal behavior.

Should I really have to tell new employees that we dont drink on the job though?

I could think of hundreds of things that I wouldn't want employees doing while on the clock. Should I mention all of them?

Where do I draw the line with these people? :dizzy:

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty much that is a common sense thing of no drinking on the job. Write him up and next time let him go. He did nothing crimnal but just something stupid. So don't punish him for his past just yet. Give the guy a second chance and let him go if he does it again.

JP

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

He did nothing criminal? Where did he drink this beer? Going down the road, or at the next jobsite? If it was a public place, it is drinking in public. Do you want to see YOUR company truck with a guy standing or sitting around it with a beer in his hand?
    As far as saying something to him,...it doesn't matter. This guy is going to drink anyway...at some point or another,...it doesn't matter what you say. If he is that much into it that he would just blatantly buy a beer and drink it while working, he will do it again. The only difference will be, if it is forbidden, he will just sneak it - like in the form of a pint of the harder stuff. If you see a storm coming,...you know what to do....

6. Darrin A.

You shouldn't have to but, if you fired him for this and never said anything, he could get a lawyer and then you're gonna pay your lawyer, and him. As I mentioned, these are common sense things but, some people just don't have or use common sense.
    You don't want your trucks to be seen with someone drinking alchohol, no matter where it is or wether or not it's lettered. Your customers know your truck regardless. Does he drive your truck?
    You might want to write up a company policy this weekend and give it to everyone, have an extra page that states that the read and understand it and they sign that. That then goes in their file. Make sure you state what offenses carry what degree of dicipline. I would say drinking/drugging on the job is cause for imidiate dismissal. Unfortunately, it does have to be spelled out to keep you out of court.

7. Gene $immons

Anyone have a copy of employee guidelines that I can use?

8. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I think if he is drinking on the job, argued with other employees and has a record with some burglarys you would be ok to fire him if you wish. It's your business and you can decide what is appropriate behavior. I don't think you have to worry about getting sued.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The loser who has been to prison is going to get a lawyer? Not a chance in hell, fire him now and be done with the gauranteed headaches to come.

10. Darrin A.

I said he could, not he would. I was once told to alway blanket my donkey. Just trying to help Gene cover his azz. If it was me, he would be gone already.