1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Employee or Riding Mower?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Trevoryard, Oct 16, 2009.

1. motorscot

motorscot LawnSite Member

The benefit of Hydro vs belt is ease of use in both wet and dry conditions. When the belts get wet, they slip and you don't move. Also, with a hydro, you can back up and move much easier so they lend themselves to faster mowing. I have had both 1 and 2 men working with me at any one time and have used both a ZTR +1 or 2 WB or nor ZTR (I sold it) and 3 WB going. A 32 or 36" WB hydro and a 48" class WB should allow you all the equip you need to work fast. A small (like 48" ZTR) would be very good as well since you can get more places.

The reason I sold my ZTR is it was too big for 90% of my yards (62") and wasn't worth keeping after I lost the 3 large accounts I bought it for.

I did find that having 1 man helping me cut my times in half or better with a much larger rate of return (plus I wasn't as tired at the end of the day)