1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new employee slow learning to trim ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liberty Lawncare, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Am I expecting too much? The kid has trimmed about 30 lawns and is still SLOW. The kid misses lots of obvious trim, still scalps and cant trim a level height for squat.
    Should I be more patient or ditch the kid?
    Oh this is funny. One day after I mow a large lawn the slow kid still has trim left and needs to push mow a little spot. I grab the trimmer and tell him to push mow .About 5 minutes later I look over he is drinking water not mowing , so I am gettin pritty mad now. I look over a minute later he is waveing me over. I figure the push mower wont start so I go over. When I get thare he asks me to please get the bee off the mower for him. Turns out the 315 lbs nose tackle on the high school football team is scared to death of a little piece of sh!t bee. So now I am totaly rippin mad at the kid I shake the hell out of the mower the bee flys away. I tell the kid to mow the #@$%@# lawn and go to finish the trim he should have had done about 10 minutes ago! Then the bee chaces mr 315# nose tacle across the front lawn I think the kid is neaver going to work out.
    Would you guys give it somemore time or forget it.
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'd dump him, and then run like mad so he doesn't get the chance to sit on me!
  3. Liberty Lawncare

:D lol he does not run verry fast the bee was all over his azz.
  4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't wanna sound mean but, It sounds like he's got a case of the DWDS's Don't Wanna Do Sh@#! I would probably send him packin'. But, did you discuss his productivity with him first, or just squak @ him? If you already tried to demonstrate and explain your expectations then, Yeah, Roll him on up off tha yard!!
  5. txlawnking

It's sad that so many kids now a days suffer from the DWDS's it's like an entire Lazy generation is affoot!! LOL
  6. Liberty Lawncare

Yea I explained to the kid that he is thare to increase production and show him how many lawns I can do on a given day. I mow the same ones on the same day for the most part. He has seen with him helping we are only doing 1-3 more a day. I told him he is not pulling his weight ( ha ha).
    It is funny this kid stays busy in all kinds of sports and band stuff so he is not as lazy as most kids. I hate to can him but I cant afford a slow worker.
  7. txlawnking

I also wouldn't say he's not lazy either, A LOT of kids now have this "entitelment" attitude nowadays ( a lot of adults too come to think about it, explains wellfare) My own cousin is a great example, he spend all kinds of time clownin with his punk pals, But when I got busy doing a clean -up he didn't want any part of it. I love him to death, But I didn't take him on to raise....
  8. lennonpaul

lennonpaul LawnSite Member

I would of never hired him to begin with because of his size. A 300lb guy could never keep up with a small skinny strong guy. Big guys arent cut out for this work. Now that's not to say they cant handle it, but your loose money on them. How fast do you think thta 300 lb butt can hop out of the truck if your doing lawns all day not to mention the extra wear and tear on your equipment.
  9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Not hiring someone based on their weight is a form of discramation. That is why you can not advertise looking for someone in good shape, ect.

10. Cutting_Edge_Lawns

Cutting_Edge_Lawns LawnSite Member

Any one have any tips on finding skilled (trimming) help? I picked it up quickly when I purchased my business 3.5 years ago, but have yet to find anyone with experience. It seems that anyone that can trim well takes twice as long as I do, or they can trim as fast, but can't do a quality job. I have tried newspaper ads, and am willing to pay for talent, but I always end up with unskilled employees running the mowers, and I trim every property. The next option seems to be head-hunting from other companies, but I am not sure I like that idea, as I would like to keep my employees if they are performing well. Any suggestions, even tips on training them, or tips on finding skilled trimmers without "stealing" them from someone else?