1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new employee very shaky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 9, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think my tolerance may be low, but my new guy drivin me nuts already. i hired #2 employee tuesday morning. no experience. the heat is killing him. he's basically useless by noon. teaching him the walkbehind in 1st gear, and he's still dangerous. he does ok with the 21, but leaves "mowhawks" in every yard. any tips for training a new guy?
  2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

fire him ........... get another one
  3. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

You've only just begun. Keep trying until you find a good worker, and when you do treat him well. Get used to it Bobby, unfortunately it is a part of owning a business with employees.

Didn't I read a post about you having a real go-getter who was working something like 60 hrs a week? What happened?
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Man, I guess you all have labor shortages up there. I can go 10 minutes down the highway and at 8am, there will be 300+ guys ready to work at one of those day-labor building things. WE've got tons of those in this neck of the woods.
  5. johnson grass

johnson grass LawnSite Member

If you do keep him i would let him practice on your yard or an empty lot where someone is not living.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Training him is not worth it if the guy can't last a shift I run my guys very hard as we work 11-13 hours a day a guy who can't go past 8 hours is worthless to me. Now you say the guy can't go past noon hate to say it but he may not be salvageable.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my regular guy works very good. but i can't expand with only one guy.i can't put all my apples in one basket though. if he leaves, i'm dead. i'm at about my limit right now. if i can get another good guy, i can easily pick up another 15 lawns and build up further from there
  8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is the new guy? If he's in his twenties and runs out of gas that quickly, he's either in horrible shape (which time itself will remedy) or just not cut out for this kind of work.

As for how long to train is concerned, I'd give him two weeks. If he's not doing substantially better after two weeks, maybe it's time to find someone else.
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

teach him to do "mullets" and cut him loose on his own.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Trying to get someone acclimated to working in the heat and teaching them how to do this line of work might be a bit much to take on Bobby. Best of luck to you.