New Employee woes...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Viseras lawn service, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

Hired new kid...started yesterday. We are heavy into hedge trimming now at this time of year and he was on the cleanup detail. Told him to move the truck as needed to dispose of the trimmings.

Told him 5 times to brush off the shrubs, because the cut matierial will brown out and look bad in a few days, sure enough he did take a few short cuts.

Next adventure, just bought new echo 1500 hedge trimmer...had about 20 mins on it...he runs it over with the truck.

Today we were spraying large shopping centers for weeds, he takes the backpack sprayer off the truck and lets it fall to the ground carelessly, breaking it. I now had to go out and buy a new one at H.D for 95 bucks.

Stupid things like this........ :realmad:

2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

tell him to have a nice summer. By the end of the summer you will be broke.

3. Viseras lawn service

from 6

im almost afriad to see what happens next :dizzy:

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

This guy needs a bonus system. Lets say that he gets $400 per week. Now he gets $300 per week with a $100 bonus. He only gets the bonus if he didn't break anything.

If you don't think that will work, fire him. There is a good employee out there - you just have to keep looking till you find him.

5. Viseras lawn service

from 6

lol good plan, but i worry that he might move onto bigger and better things like wrapping the dumptruck around a tree or something lol

6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Good employees don't break stuff and are careful and listen to what you say. You might need to get somebody with a little more experince.

7. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

How much has your prodution increased with an employee and how much has your net profit decreased? Once you honestly answer these questions you will see that employees aren't worth the headaches.

If you have more work than you can handle simply raise your rates until supply = demand. This way you make more $ without the need for emloyees.

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

I Had One Of Those Myself.i Put Him On A Line Trimmer And Everytime The Mower Was Put On The Trailor He Thought The Job Was Done Wether Or Not He Was.or He Would Beat The Bump Head Very Violently On The Ground. I Would Grab The Trimmer And Finish The Job My Self And Then I Had A Revelation If Im Going To Give Money Away It Might As Well Be To A Charity.do Like I Did Just Say See Ya Later.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm sure he had his pesticide applicator's certification. And was authorized by your commercial auto policy as a driver.....and had been given plenty of training and supervision on those shrubs....and had provided numerous job references before being hired....

And why is there a hedge trimmer laying on the ground near a truck anyway?

Yes, I'm venting...sick and tired of the shoestring, on-the-cheap, unprofessional, "who can I pick up at the labor pool today and bill out for $35/hour?" mentality. It's not your fault, you're just doing what 90% of the others are.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My new guy dropped my trimmer. He thought he broke the plastic around the air clean. He was like I am so sorry. I will pay for that. But he didn't realize it was already broken. (I broke it) I already decide to give him his own crew next year if everything goes as planned. My other guy will be gone soon he break something minor every week.