new enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tylerr83, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Tylerr83

Tylerr83 LawnSite Member

I'm planning on adding a new enclosed trailer to my fleet this season and have been checking prices in my area and elsewhere. I'm looking to get an 8.5'x 16' with ramp gate and a flat nose. In my area these are going for 7k and up (with tandem 3,500lb axles). Similar trailers in the south I see new for just a little more than half that before taxes. I was in contact with a dealer in Georgia who said he could have me out the door for under 4k. even with shipping or me driving 15 hours to pick one up this is still a big savings . Any of you guys know why they would be so much cheaper down there??

2. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

direct factory dealers

3. procut_TN

procut_TN LawnSite Member

Hey man I got one out of Georgia and what everone wanted 7500 for I got for 4200

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought one locally. For me it was 950 miles each way to pick it up. On the way down I could probably get 15mpg with my half ton, but on the way back with that trailer I would be I would be lucky to get 10 so thats -

158 gallons fuel X $3.50= $553.00
    1 hotel room= $80.00
    TOTAL= $633.00

Plus 2000 miles wear and tear on your truck and the possibility of breakdown if your not driving a newer truck.

If you still feel like your coming out ahead, then go for it. For me the difference was only about $500 so I just bought locally in case I have a problem I can go right back to him and he is also my Gravely and Stihl dealer.

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

If your interested my guy could probably do a 16ft for alot less than $7K. PM me if you want his info. Im probably only a few hrs from you.

6. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

The GA deals for GA manufactures is legit, I'm at the plants all the time. I see pick up's towing their new trailers to all of the northern states. Take a trip to the beach and bring one back.

7. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure it has brakes on both axles. Required in CT. Compare the construction also. My 8x20 enclosed has floor joists 12"o.c. and wall studs 16"o.c. A lot of cheaper trailers run 24"o.c. That may be fine for the occasional car hauling, but not for daily use. Otherwise, go get a good deal.

8. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would highly recommend not buying any trailer made in Georgia, almost every manufacturer is crap! Pay the extra money and it will last 4 times longer.

9. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Just priced a 8.5x18 $4300 for standard
    I am adding 5200Lbs ax
    6'6" door height
    extended tong
    48" side door

Price on that I will get Monday
    A&A Center Trailer Sales Jonesboro GA

10. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member