New enclosed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cutters edge, Mar 6, 2005.

1. cutters edge

cutters edge LawnSite Member

Is there any thing that i need in the trailer so i dont get in trouble with the cops, if i happen to be pulled over. Thanks.

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

What size trailer? What are you pulling it with?

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

fire extinguisher, traffic cones

4. Metro Lawn

Michigan has no law that requires these items.

5. Eddie B

from gone

Well the cop sure bugged me when I got pulled over here in delaware. :confused:

6. Metro Lawn

This applies to commercial trucks (not trailers) Commercial meaning it has signs on it, or is over 3/4 ton.

Must have: fire ext., and triangles or cones (3)

If the GVW of the truck and trailer combo is over 10,000 pounds (not what it actually weighs, but what the total it can carry ie: 3/4 ton pu 8000 lbs + tandem trailer 7000 lbs = 15,000 lbs) Michigan requires that you have GVW plates on your truck. This is a favorite among the local motor carrier officers. You can get impounded along with some hefty fines.

Trailers over 1500 lbs need brakes on all axles along with a break away device

7. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

DOT requirements??? even if your trucks/trailers are not registered it dosent seeem like a bad idea to have the required stuff. Especially for an enclosed. im not sure exactly what is required for DOT approval but if you can find out what your suppose to have in your rig it would be one less thing to worry about if you were to get busted by them. most enclosed trailers that i see (for almost any type of company) puts cabinets/shelfs in the front for storage of gas cans, sprayers, tools, timmer line, etc.

just my .02, for what its worth

8. Metro Lawn

huh? I am now confused...

9. Eddie B

from gone

Thanks for clearing that up Metro, laws here are similar.

10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Still a good idea to to carry the stuff.... Cones will help prevent some idiot from side swiping your tailer.. and if you ever have a fire you will be thankful that you carry a extinguisher....