New engine and needing manifold vacumn

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Senrab, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Senrab

Senrab LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hi,
    I bought a 99 model 3165 that had a blown 16hp Briggs engine. I bought a new motor but the manifold vacumn port is drilled but not all the way through.
    The old motor is drilled through on one side of the intake and had a barbed fitting. The vacumn runs the blade engagement idler pulley so I have to have it.

Is the vacumn port a CC factory spec and not on a standard production motor? I matched the model number before I bought the motor.
    Anyone ever run into this before?
    If I drill it out is there an easy way to remove the chips? (I don't want them to get sucked into the cylinder) I know I can remove the intake manifold and don't think there is any other way to be sure of removing the debris.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It very well could be a CC spec., I would just change the new intake out with the old one and call it a day.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you have to drill this manifold, there are two basic ways you can do it.

1) Take it off and drill

2) Drill in place while drilling slowly with lots of grease on the bit to catch shavings and use a shop vac right next to the area being drilled.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Shavings can still enter the intake with no way to get them out without removal.

Btw, How we doing on our blade balancing experiment ? :waving:

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Stopping by lowes tomorrow...