1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New engine for 36" exmark metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RB, May 25, 2002.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Can I replace my 12.5 hp kaw with a 15 hp vtwin kaw on my exmark metro?

2. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Go to Exmarks web site and get a phone number or e-mail address. I think they can answer your question. I'm guessing the bolt pattern has to be the same. If it isn't then you can't without modifing your frame. Also the shaft diameter has to be the same.
  3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can ask in their forum section here, but i can already almost 100% positively say yes, as it is now an available option on new metro's. i assume everything on the chasis is the same. you may have to give them your serial number to be certain.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you can. It is a very easy swap and should take you around 2 to 3 hours. The year before last I swapped a 14 for a 17 on my Gravely and then then took the 12.5 off of my Exmark and put the 14 on it. Bolt patterns and shaft sizes are all identical on the small (17 and under) Kawasaki engines. The only thing you will have to change is the throttle cable. You will need a longer one.