New engine for 37w/b

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by specialtylc, Sep 7, 2004.

1. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The 15hp kaw om my Hustler W/B broke today. I want to know if the new 19HP Kaw will bolt up to this mower. If not, I will put the 17hp on it instead.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am pretty sure the engine will bolt up to the frame.
    We never used a 19hp on our walks so I can not give you a exact answer.
    Differences in the engine such and crankshaft length and diameter and key way size are things I would be concerned about, not to mention wiring and throttle and choke controls.
    From looking in my parts software, I find that our 15hp and 17 hp recoil start walk behinds use the same wiring harness, so that should not be much of a problem for you.
    I am also seeing that the electric clutch on our 15hp and 17hp recoil start WB's are the same also.
    A good Kawasaki dealer should be able to cross reference the engine we use to the 19hp to tell you about crank sizes and wiring and throttle controls.
    Hope this helps
    Pj

3. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Dont forget thet when you get into the larger engine that there is a shut down solnoid. This willl not work with out the electric start version with a battery.From my experence this change will not be problem but for this shut down.!

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm confused. It's obvious you need a battery for the electric start version, otherwise you can't start it, so what the point again???. Anyway, as the original installer of a 25hp Kaw on the 17hp 54" WB, to make the first SWB, I had no problem with the changeover. However, you do need to rebend the exhaust pipe to let the muffler clear the deck housing.
    Also, since the engine shaft comes in two sizes, just make sure you buy the right one to fit the clutch, otherwise you'll be going for a new electric clutch, too.
    Pete

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I put the 17HP on it today. Lots more power than the tired 15 that came off. Exhaust valve stuck on the 15 at 2012 hrs. Wasnt worth fixing. Thanks for your replies.

6. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Battery was needed for the fuel shut off solnoid that what !
    I have been there with people not know what they are doing with repowering.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks, since I used a battery I didn't know there could be a problem.
    Pete

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

So you had 2000 hours on a 37" walk behind! Wow! What did you use it for? I have the same machine and was wondering how everything was holding up.