New engine for my Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Christianstine, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Christianstine

Christianstine LawnSite Member

I have been told it is better to have a new engine put on my lazer rather than rebuilding it.Has anyone in Michigan been through this?I live in the Flint area does anyone have any info on where I could take it to get a engine put on it for a fair price?
    Brian Grant.

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

christianstine,check you pm

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do NOT just go and buy a new motor. I can just about guess who told you this - (they've told several people that these motors "can't be rebuilt", and ewe've proved them wrong. We can rebuild it for much cheaper than you can purchase one for, and that is with a great guarantee. We have done several of them for several companies in the area, including BIG companies. PM me if you're interested, as I am confident we can help you out.

4. Christianstine

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

So Runner, What do you do w/ a 25 hp. Kohler Command that has worn, scored, or flaking Nickle Silicon bores??? Exmark used a ton of these engines on the full size Lazers.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If the bores are gone, then the engine is done. The components are good, - the block is a boat anchor. What was happening, is that a dealer was telling us that these engines just aren't rebuildable, because the the cylinder come out of round. After purchasing 5 motors (my friend), my friends cousin (highly educated and degreed in mechanics), said to bring him one of those old motors and let HIM take a look at it. Well, about a week later, he had it up and running like a champ. The cost? A fraction of a new motor. He said that the block that WE took him, was one they said was out of true, the cylinders were perfect. We find out later, that the dealers make more money on selling a new engine, than they can rebuilding one (too time constraining for their type of work). When we went back to get all of the old blocks that they had kept, guess what? They had "mysteriously" disappeared (we were told they don't keep them around). It's all just business, I guess, but it was a $10,000 lesson.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, I would like to add, that in all the motors we've redone, (around 19 of them), we have never came across any with bad cylinders in them. This stuff is so hard, that practically nothing can happen to them. They are harder than stainless and harder than chrome. They are just vrtually indestructable. In the event that they may be wron a bit - we've seen this on 2000 hours and up, they WILL use a little bit of oil, but they will still run very strong for many hours to come. It's funny, we've had people say that they haven't even run THAT good when they were brand new!
    Anyway, I met Brian (Christianstine) this evening, and we have his Lazer in the shop now. It is getting water (Kawi LC) into the cylinder(s), so we are not sure what the deal is. We'll know after we get it apart. We are hoping for something simple like a blown gasket, but it could be something worse like a cracked head or cylinder wall. It DOES run good, though, so this is a positive!

8. Christianstine

bump the thread