1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Engine or New Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springover, Apr 19, 2007.

1. springover

springover LawnSite Member

I've got a 48 Encore Hydro 17hp Kawasaki 5 or 6 years old...its seems a little tired...
    I'm trying to decide if a new engine would make it cut like it used to or if it should just become a brush hog and a snow plow and buy a new 48 walkbehind...
    Any advice from experience with a new engine on an old machine would be great.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

How many hours are on the machine and is it a ztr or wb? You need to evaluate if it would be worth you putting a new engine on it. If the hydro system is in good shape and the deck isnt bent then I would say just repower the machine with a new engine.
  3. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience if the engine goes everything else is starting to go too. Keep as a backup or sell for what you can and UPGRADE.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. STOP using it before it dies so that you can use it as a backup in the future. If it's really weak it won't bring too much anyway selling it. But the cost of keeping it around for years as your backup is minimal.
  5. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I repowered my 48" Exmark TTHP (17 HP KAWI) last spring for about $1000. Granted everything else was still in great working condition...hydros, spindles, deck, ect. The mower works absolutely great and cut as good as it ever did. I cut approx. 95 residential and a couple smaller commercial lots for the past 4 years weekly and the mower has been absolutely wonderful. Cuts great, easy to service. Gonna buy my fourth TTHP this summer.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I slapped a $600 15hp Kohler on my aging '98 proline and that baby runs almost as good as my '05 now.
    Actually it's got the power and the speed of the '05 and I think even a little more, but the rest is a bit more worn so you do have to consider the age and how worn it is, I for one realize even with the new engine it likely won't last another 9 years lol, but for $600 if I get 2-3 or 4 years out of it, I'm happy.

Yeah ok, add the labor and the pita of it all, still it's cheaper than 3,000 so it doesn't have to run for 5-8 years before it pays for itself... I'll do this again anytime, thou I also put a new tranny in it, again it depends on how everything else is. I figured mine would still hold up (because more power), and it did but be prepared to replace a few other things that may become evident (such as trans belt or something else that isn't obvious until you gain the power). All in all it cost me 1000 dollars, why buy a new one? And no, the tranny was replaced last year, I doubt this would be an issue, mostly small stuff, belts, hinges, bs stuff.

In my case, love for the machine helped, too... I don't like all of the '05's new-fangled 'we made it safer' crap, the '98 is far more aggressive, btw I also rebuilt an older Echo string trimmer, I mean, if you like the machine it is 2x worth it.
  7. springover

springover LawnSite Member

the hydro pumps and spindels are ok, besides its not a big deal replacing spindels or bearings...The thing of it is I just got a wright stander with a 23hp Kaw and wow...thats how i realized how tired the 17hp is...

I was thinking $1000 to $1500 on a new engine wouldnt be as bad as $4200 for a new walkbehind, plus the 400 for the proslide.
  8. Quality One

Quality One LawnSite Member

I repowered a WB last year. It went from 12.5 hp to 18 hp with a Donaldson air filter for $970. It cuts better than it ever did, however the steering is still crappy. Even with a new enging, it is still a "High Hour" machine. I'll keep it for a backup, but I would recomend replacing it with a new model.

Just my ยข2
  9. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr LawnSite Member

HF sells Subaru / Robins engines for a real attractive price. One of these could be set up for your system, may be. Of course they are not commercial, but if you are only trying to have a backup it could work real well.

Saw a 11-15 hp (cant remeber) engine there for like $400-500. jmho

10. jvorwald7

jvorwald7 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

go to jackssmallengines.com. i found that it was the cheapest to buy an engine when i put a new one on my wb. and do the labor yourself it will save you a ton.