New Engine or New Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DSLND, Jan 21, 2012.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

My 99 Chevy 6.0L K2500 engine is about to go. Its banging and knocking like crazy and mechanic thinks it spun a bearing.

Its got 196k miles and has towed, pushed, pulled and driven all over the place. Its a good truck and I really would love to keep it.

Mechanic has offered me a great deal (IMO) on a new Jasper engine. Engine, installation, etc. for around $3k. Engine is warrantied and I've heard good things about Jaspers.

My thought is that as soon as I drop a new engine, the transmission will need attention, then the transfer case, and so on. By that point it will be to the point of go all the way and build myself a new truck or just replace it.

I've put a decent amount of money in the truck in the past year. Front end, water pump, oil pump, intake gasket, all brakes (pads, rotors, callapers), the uni mount setup for plow, shocks and within last two years it has had power steering pump, fuel pump, oil coolant lines, etc.

I would like to keep running the truck but I just hate to keep throwing money in it. I even thought about doing the engine and having the transmission rebuilt now (during winter) and just having one less thing to worry about. I can get transmission rebuilt for around $1500-1800.

Thoughts?

-Mitch-

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

Look around at local junk yards, you can probably find one with low miles to 500-700. Should take about 8-10 hours to swap them. That would be about half the cost of a new one. Probably less than half.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

Whats your truck worth in your area? I just got a friend an '02 chevy 2500 from an old man , 80,000 miles ,never worked for $3500.00 in great condition.

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Sell it how it is and buy a new truck.

5. I agree. Maybe keep it and when you can afford it put some money in it to keep as a backup....you've already replaced a lot of stuff in it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thread.....

I'm afraid Ill be in a similar situation soon. My 01 has 165k+ on it....but stills seems to be going strong.

At what point do ya ditch your old beloved war horse???

Love my Chevy.... Been very, very reliable.

Keep the posts coming....

7. I think you toss it when a lot of big expenditures need to be done. If all you have to do are regular maintenance items and things that are say $500 or less, I would keep using it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

its time to part ways when the truck is no longer reliable,is incapable of doing the job required,or the repairs cost is close to or greater than the trucks value.

9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I vote for a new one.

10. 09daxman

09daxman LawnSite Member

Buy a new one and then sell this truck to me!