New engine wont start.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Mar 18, 2001.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

After replacing an old 20hp kohler with a 20 hp kohler and turning the key nothing happened . Im guess it needs a different wiring harness. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows what to look for. Eveything seems to be hooked up correctly all i can think of is the wiring harness has dirt in the connections. The battery is fine and it turned over before i did the switch over.
    Thanks for your reply.

Bedros

[Edited by bdemir on 03-18-2001 at 12:04 PM]

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's completely dead? It sounds like you may not be getting connection from the battery. Double check the charge first, and double check all your connections. Atleast it's not turning OVER and not starting!:) What engine is it, Magnum or Command? It'll go! Good luck with it!

3. bdemir

Runner it is the command. Is that a good one?

Thanks for your supprot.

Bedros

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The Command is the best in my opinion. I've had both. The Magnum has more low end torque than the Command, but the Command is more fuel efficiant and will run higher rpm's and use much less oil.

Have you tryed running power right to the starter to see if it turns? This will bypass all your wiring so you can check the starter. It's probably something simple. ;)

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Most of the old kohler magnums had a starter with out a solenoid shift on them.
    The command you installed has a solenoid shift starter.
    You need to wire it for that application.
    You can test it by putting 12 volts to the single spade on the solenoid on the sarter.
    Also, your old magnum may not have had a fuel solenoid, so if you do get it to turn over, and it does not start, you need to wire in the fuel solenoid circuit on your new command.
    Good luck.....

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Was this a Magnum that you had on it before? If so, you will need a new wiring harness or have to wire up the fuel solenoid. I would just put a whole new wiring harness on if this is the case. Your dealer should be able to get you one. It would be much easier with the new harness and if you do this, check to see if you will need a new switch since that plug could be different too.

7. bdemir

Thanks youeveryone for the replys. Eric it was a 20cvs. Not sure if that is a command or a magnum but it looks exactly the same as the new one from the outside.

Bedros

8. bdemir

Ok I tried touching the battery up to the started solinoid and still nothing happened. Maybe the starter is bad. I also tried to put the battery charger on it and switched it on and nothing happened. The battery charger has an engine start mode that can boost a heavy charge and still nothing happened. Its probably the wiring harness i hope. lol
    Thanks for the support.

BEdros

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe the problem is on the ground side,any chance you forgot to hook up a ground cable,or left off a groun strap?It should ground itself thru mounting bolts,but you never know.You need to see if you have power at the starter,use a terst light or a multi-meter to check for power.You can tap lightly on the starter,see if that gets it going,Its not likely that a new starter is bad,but anything is possible.God luck

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

20 horsepower Command Verticle and the S is the particular sub-model of Command 20.