New EPA head man

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Indydirtfarmer, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

I didn't catch the name, but Pres. Bush announced today that there's a new head of the EPA, and he's got a background in pesticides. He's going to work on re-writing the EPA codes on most everything according to the report..... Here we go boys..... :dizzy:

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dirt Farmer

This is the first I have heard of a new Guy. However I like one thing you said. "He has a back ground in Pesticides." At least his name isn't David Hall and maybe he is not a dye in the wool Tree Hugger.

Now the first thing I would try an accomplish if I were Head of EPA is. Take all pesticides off retail store shelves. Only those who were certified could apply them. All those seeking certification would have to have at least a two year degree in entomology. Of course I would also go after Industry and Agriculture. They are the real polluters.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

WE got word today here in Va. that there is going to be a big crack down on the un liscensed applicators and a hint that in 2006 you wont even be able to put down regular garden fert with out a herbicide/pesticide liscense. Im not sure if this is truth or BS but also the ''core book'' for testing is getting ready to be re-done and alot more added.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fool

Sounds like Virginia is entering the 21st century, Good.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I happened to be at a lesco sevice ctr. last spring at the same time that a massachusetts pest.bureau inspector was fining an unlicensed landscaper ( miracles happen). He fined the landscaper $100. per bag to the tune of 12 bags! If you play with fire you will get burned! If you want to work in this business get licensed,insured and educated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The real problem is that Lesco doesn't check licenses unless you buy restricted use products. I would welcome a crackdown on the unlicensed

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric, I think if products were removed from the store shelves our industry would see a backlash from the public saying that 'see how dangerous they are, now you cannot even buy them'. If anything I think the products that are sold should only be premixed ready to use products. That way Joe homeowner can't just dump a pint of concentrated weed-be-gone on the one dandilion.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sod

Good Point. Yes we could not take all pesticides off the retail shelve. I like the pre-mix Idea, however Joe home owner would just keep pouring product on that dandelion twice a day until it long gone. They expect everything to work in 2 minutes.