1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NEW equipment...sitting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BBS, Nov 12, 2003.

1. BBS

BBS LawnSite Member

If I purchase some NEW equipment now and it sits until next Spring,I shouldn't have a problem when Spring rolls around right?...I think it's a dumb question myself but I had to ask anyways lol...Mostly new handtools,nothing large...
  2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worrie matey your equipment will be fine.

Just make sure you follow the MFG's intructions for "Storing" the equipment and come Spring you'll be laughing.
  3. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Back in Sept. I bought a new 21", stick edger, trimmer, and bp blower.
    I plan on starting up after our short winter is over so I am still working on getting my business matters in order, such as DBA, checking account, business cards, insurance, a truck ect.

Anyway, I have been using this equiptment on my own yard to become famillar with each piece. I did find out that my stick edger had a stuck throttle and is now in the shop.

Not a big deal right now, no customers.
  4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's gas powered make sure you let it run until empty or drain it.. I don't even like to use fuel preservatives...

Keep hand tools off the ground to prevent rust..

Other than that, its common sense.:)
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Why buy all that stuff now and let 5 months of the warranty waste away if you're really not gonna use it. Keep your money and keep looking for better deals. Buy the stuff if you have found the best deals in the world Other than that, 5 months from now the pieces of equipment will still be the same price, but have full warranties. THINK ABOUT IT. If it's a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow.
  6. BBS

BBS LawnSite Member

indeed,agree with you whole heartedly...it's all new and discounted which is why I'd be going for it ;) A friend of mine works at "my place" and he's leaving the job at the end of the year,so I want to take advantage of his discount now lol
  7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

With a 12 month warranty, you will always have winter months where your equipment sits idle. So as far as the warranty is concerned, it doesn't matter when you buy it.
  8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you not like to use fuel preservatives? Have you had a bad experience? Just wondering.
  9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Ive been using stabelizer in my gas engines now for yrs with no problems, i started useing it in my bass boats yrs ago and also no problems, I do start all my equipment up several times a month, and use my backpack's to blow off a dusting of snow, don't get much down here in southern In......Marks Mowing Service