New Equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kentuckylawns, Sep 5, 2006.

1. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I need some advice on the best brand and best equipment to buy, i want to budget 3500-4200 for a nice (new walk behind) and (4000 - 4800) for either an additional walk behind or zero turn, info on best for money New + used. would you guys buy 1 zero turn and 1 walk behind or 2 walk behinds (i know just starting i cant afford a brand new lazer, and turf tracer ) - That would be nice though LOL. what are the best brands? Im going to budget about 8g for 2 backpack blowers, 2 comm trimmers, and 2 commercial mowers. What would you guys buy???

I appreciate all the responses

Ron

2. texaslawn

texaslawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I just bought a Ariens Zoom 1840 which has a 40 inch deck with the mulching kit for 2999.00 new. I found that I could buy several of these for what I would be paying for the others.

3. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

I've seen you mention Ariens ZTRs before. I went to their website and noticed that they are mainly residential quality. How long have you been using them and how have they worked out for you. I've been thinking of getting a residential(bad word around here, but still) quality 40 inch ZTR to start off with. As long as it last me between March 2007 thru Sept 2007 I would be happy.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Your just starting, get a good walkbehind (turf tracer), backpack blower and trimmer and thats all you need. Why do you need a Z and walkbehind, 2 blowers and 2 trimmers right off the bat? Use the walkbehind and have it pay for a new Lazer.

Now use all left over money on advertising because you are going to need it...

5. CUTNTIME

CUTNTIME LawnSite Member

shop around,even in nearby towns.I bought my equip. as a package deal.
    5x10 trailer,36 EXMARK walkbehind w/sulky,Shindiawa backpack blower,stick edger,string trimmer,and hedge trimmer for 4,800.new w/warranty.financed
    for 3 years.paid it off,I have 3 months left on my Z and I'm debt free as far as equip. goes.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Best bet is to buy what you need to do the lots you have, What size lots do you have, How many people do you have on your crews?

7. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

i only i have 1 guy that works for me, so it will be a two man crew, one guy mowing, and one trimming. I only have 6 accounts right now, but gonna bust my A** in the off season and my goal is 35 accounts, full time.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

stick with one mower for now. the deck size will be determined by your accounts and targeted size accounts. Don't go into a huge debt to have two mowers and a big trailer at first. Do it right, start slow, buy what you need to survive and then when the accounts come, buy more equipment.

9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the business that you are after and your customers yards.

I have a 36" Walk Behind for the customers with small gates to backyards that I cannot get the Ztrn through. I use the Z on the front yards and everything else.

I bought my Z New, but I got the Walkbehind Used for $500. It is a good machine and I will keep it for at least a couple fo years before upgrading it to a Hydro Floating Deck 36".

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Buy one W/B that fits you lots and maybe a 21"
    For 35 accounts there is no need for 2 mowers.