New esto/work/daily F350, diesel vs gas

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by andersman02, May 5, 2012.

1. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

This may be in the wrong area but seeing as I will likely be using this truck for everything including hardscaping.....

I got the go ahead to look for a new truck this fall
    currently I drive my fathers 01 F150 and he drives a 350. Heres the situation.....

I am graduating from college this spring and starting to really get into the hardscape/landscape scene (went to school for horticulture-landscape design). We started plowing 3 years ago and have had very good success, now having to turn down customers. I got the go ahead to look at new trucks for this fall. It will be MY truck but our family company will be paying for it so price is something to think about. We will be going with a ford F250/350 extended cab either new or a couple years used, most likely a f350 as we will be using it for landscaping. This truck will be used for EVERYTHING
    -plowing
    -landscaping
    -Most likely Esto's
    -daily driving
    -ect.....

My question is what are your guys thoughts on the powerstroke 6.7 diesel or 6.2 gas V8....

Currently we have 8 gas 1990/2001 250/350s that have worked good. We also have 2 Izuzu tankers w/ diesel that have worked equally good.

Another thing is we keep our trucks for their lifetime meaning theres a good chance this truck will be around untill it dies.

So what are your thoughts between the these two engines? Pros/cons?

My father is mainly worried about the winter months, we've never had a diesel that was used in the winter but have heard you need to let it warm up more along with the noise of them, we are not sure.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Welp, first off Pick up trucks are not engineered/made for plowing. I cringe at the thought of someone plowing with a $40k(+) pick up.

And as far as warming in the winter - all combustion engines bust warm up before full operation as well as idle down after use. Just as you would a race horse. Gas or diesel.

And last but not least - Ford sucks!

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  3. andersman02

FORD all the way!
    Yeah i have no hate against any other company but we have always ran FORD and never had any problems. My dad is also a die hard for guy so it kinda rubs off on me :)

As far as warming up I more or less meant cold winter starting, Ive heard Diesels are much harder to start in winter, Maybe this was for the older diesels.... Don't they make engine block heaters now to help with this?

And yeah after looking at prices i think we will be looking at a 2006-2009 f350 as like you said, its hard to justify plowing with a 50k truck. I think were looking around the 20-25k price range

4. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

What are esto's

The cummins motor heats the air going in the motor, ford uses glo plugs. I am partial to cummins.

The diesel motor is for fleet type use and high torque. Do you pull heavy loads 3 days per week?
    Do you avg 30k miles per year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. andersman02

Estos are just estimate calls
    It will be used for
    - plowing all winter
    - towing a skidsteer (winter and summer) probly 1-2 days a week on average
    - possibly towing a landscape/mowing trailer
    - hauling mulch/rock/soil
    - daily driving
    - towing anything else I need it too

Also i gotta say we will still have this F150 on hand to use but i seriously doubt the gas mileage will be any better (terrible atm)

again well need a truck that will last.....we keep our vehicles very well maintained and don't trade them in (our trucks atleast) So in the long run this truck will probly turn into a full time landscape/mow/utility truck

6. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would say if you are going to use it for any type of pulling you need to have a diesel. I have a 96 f350 diesel, a 04 and 95 ram, and a F800 all three with cummins. I would have to say the cummins is way better than the powerstroke. Our for will not strart if it is 35 degrees or less if it is not plugged in but the cummins will start in -20 degrees just fine. We use the diesels to plow and we haven't had any complaints that we are too loud and we only plow residential and sometimes are out at 3 in the morning.

7. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

I would look into a medium-heavy dump truck. Mack, International, Ford, Chevy and maybe in that order. And use the 150 when ever you can. No sense in spending 60K for a pick up that wont last 5 years with all that you plan to do with it. I do like my 93 f600 with a cummins 5.9 only 115k miles and paid 3500 for it 3 years ago.

8. greatinmulchbeds

greatinmulchbeds LawnSite Member

wait what is wrong with plowing with a pick up? 1,000s of people plow with a pick up, who wants to plow a small curvy lot with a dump truck? plowing is only hard on a pick up if you drive like an idiot, speeding/smashing into curbs/throwing it in drive to reverse to quick/ etc

9. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

I'll chime in with my .002 worth.
    I don't know a thing about those engines, so I can't help you out there. But I bought an '03 F350 6.0 for basically the same things you are doing except plowing.
    #1: A diesel IMO pulls a load much better, I've heard others with the V10 that don't complain either, but having had both gas & diesel, no question in my mind what I'd rather have.
    #2: what kind of fuel mileage can you expect? The way I looked at it, yeah diesel is more expensive, but then I get better mileage to offset that.
    #3: Life on a diesel is kinda legendary. Obviously if you take care of anything, it's going to last, but I don't think, on average, a gas is going to outlast a diesel.
    #4: If your worried about it starting, just plug it in, any diesel is going to be harder to start in cold weather, but I haven't had any trouble if I plug it in, and if I forget, I let the glow plugs warm it up a time or three before trying to start.
    Did I mention that this sucker pulls!

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah that's why they have block heaters! What? Do you think all these people with diesels sit at home in the winter??

As far as pulling - it's all in the gearing. The lower the gearing - the better a truck will pull. Gas or diesel. I had a Chevy truck with a 350 engine that pulled better than my Dodge with a Cummins. The Chevy was geared lower.

Posted via Mobile Device