New Everride 36" walk behind, blade stopped moving....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kennybob, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Kennybob

Kennybob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a new Everride Walk Behind 36", I went to turn on the blades and the left blade is very hard to move, while the right side blade is moving normally.

Is the blade seized?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would say maybe the bearings are or you may have ran over a piece of string and wrapped it around the lower bearing.

3. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

That is an easy one....You need to remove the spindle shaft from the spindle housing. If you look at the spindle shaft from the bottom when the blade is off you will notice that the bottom of the shaft fits inside the housing. There is very little clearance there. You may have to grind the outer edges of the shaft so there is clearance all the way around. The only other option is to order a new spindle shaft. I have done a few of them that had the clearance too tight. You will need to remove the blade belt first to see if it is only one or more than one of the spindle shafts that have the clearance problem. If you go to the following link.... http://www.everride.com/media/170147 M 081705.Wasp.664001.664101.664201.pdf
    and look at ref #53 which is the spindle shaft you will see that it has a blade landing on the bottom of the shaft. It is that round landing that fits inside the spindle housing. There were a few that the diameter was a little too big and needs to be shaved down.

4. Kennybob

Kennybob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Restrorob, I checked under the blades there is nothing stuck or wrapped around the blade.

Themowerman. This is the complete story... The blades turned on on the first time I had the mower started so I turned them off and drove the mower to get the feel for it on the grass, when I was finished I went back on pavement and tried to turn on the blades again, this is when they started smoking. When I go to turn the blade by hand, it sometimes moves easily and then a half turn later it gets stuck. I am sorry for not being this clear before. Do you still think that this is the problem?

Also, one thing that I noticed is that the blades stop turning very quickly when the PTO is turned off. Is there some type of brake on them?

5. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I agree with restorob about checking for string or something other than that Id take it back to the dealer. That should be a warranty item. I wouldnt grind or modify nothing as that would definitely void the warranty.

6. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I agree with Restrorob about checking for string or something other than that Id take it back to the dealer. That should be a warranty item. I wouldnt grind or modify nothing as that would definitely void the warranty.

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I just hope you didn't pick this up off ebay or an auction as most of those machines have no warranty. If that is the case..you're most likely SOL. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

8. Kennybob

Kennybob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

kayesproperties, I checked there is no string stuck in the blade. I have yet to get in contact with everride I would first like to diagnose the problem judging by others input and experiences. I expect I am not the only one this problem has effected.

corey4671, unfortunately my concern is not about any warranty or issues related. I would appreciate if the thread stays in relation to the mechanical issue.

9. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Trust me....It is the blade saddle on the end of the spindle assy. Remove the deck belt and rotate the blades by hand. The binding that you feel is the diameter of the blade saddle hitting the spindle housing......Where in NJ are you?

10. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

I just had the same thing happen on a 48" wb. You cannot see it, but if you drop the spindle out, you will see it.