1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Mar 24, 2008.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Most of you know I have been tire kicking for a year.
    My wish list is a

1. Tb153
    2. Tb 145
    3. KX 161

In that order.

My area is really in a slump Business wise and there are more and more machines becoming available.
    At what Monetary value would you start compromising your wants?
    All 3 of these machines will run 55k or better new.
    What would you consider a good deal for a low hour 1 year old cab/air machine in this class?
    I have a potential machine coming available so I am really getting close too buying.
  2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The TB153, they seem to hold up better than Crap-o-bota's, especially with full cab options.
  3. rgjlawn

rgjlawn LawnSite Member
    from midwest

4. AWJ Services

from Ga

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You might talk to your TK salesman and ask if any of his customers are looking to downsize. Given the current state of the economy, there is no telling how low some guys would be willing to go.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Ksss hit on a point that has been rolling around my empty skull since this thread began. Used machines are a dime a dozen now, lots for sale and the prices are going lower.....I imagine some fireside sales are coming. You could get an almost new machine for half the cost of a new one or maybe less.........an excavator here just parked a couple of his machines in the parking lot with for sale signs on them........bargains are to be had and it sure beats paying full retail.
  7. AWJ Services

from Ga

I am having a hard time finding a nearly new machines at anywhere near half of what they cost new.
    They seem too all be about 30% of new value.
    If it was 60k new they want 40k.

I talked too RGJlawn about his Kubota and it is something I may very well buy.

Of course the day I buy a machine there will be 50 hit the market the next day.LOL
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

What's weird is that the smaller iron around here is still way expensive in the used market. I know there was a huge auction last weekend, not a Ritchie Bros., but I looked at what they had for sale and there was easily 30-40 excavators. Not sure what things went for there, but reading the equipment trader mags every couple weeks, things are still expensive. The Takeuchi dealer here is selling brand new TB135's with bucket and hydraulic thumb, maybe a coupler but I can't remember, for $34K, what a screaming deal for a 7,600 pound machine. Cat was running a special on 303.5CCR's about 4 months ago I want to say. Coupler, thumb, and 24" bucket for like $37,500, not a bad deal either.

Either way, Kubota or Tak will be a good machine. Play it cool for a while, keep your eyes open for something that comes up.
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It is the same here mini's excavators in the used market are still going for a decent price but you can buy a used EX400 pretty cheap.
  10. Ironmike

Ironmike LawnSite Member

Got an 07' 100 hour TB145 w cab heat and air for 48k. 614-271-5931.