1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NEW eXmark EXcalibur Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Dec 6, 2001.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Exmark guys!
    Check out http://www.exmark.com then click on any of the Ultra-Cut deck links. It lists a new blade that I think is going to be a great success. It is called the Excalibur blade. Full length sharpened, and SOLID lift foil. This just may be the same as the old pre 1997 60" Dixie Chopper .203" thick high lift! Thin, full length sharpened, and a good high lift solid foil.

This will save me the time of grinding down the edge of my old OEM blades to go full length! And with a thin .203 thickness will not drag any horsepower and cut like a hot knife through butter in the thick stuff.

Cant wait till Spring!
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Not to teach my geometery class here, but...

The sharpened the whole length thing is over rated.

Here's why:
    The center of the blade moves at 0mph.
    The tip moves at 215mph.

Halfway down and towards the center, the cutting edge is moving at less than 100mph and not cutting jack diddly. PLUS, it's only a 12" diameter of each blade that we're talking about.

The blade thickness does not drag power as much as the air that each blade moves. (And when you're in grass, the cutting that each blade does.)

~This lesson however does not mean that the Excaliber isn't a great blade.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree, in part, with Kent Lawns. I've noticed week after week that only the first 2 or 3 inches of blade ever really needs sharpening. I've had the Dixie blades and I ended up only sharpening the first 5 inches of blade and letting the rest of it go.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I WAS a straight A student in Geometry. This is not geometry, its physics!

The center of the blade moves a lot more than O, but I get your idea! This is all the more reason to keep that area sharp. Its spinning slower and needs to be sharp to cut those stragglers. We all know that not every blade of grass gets cut the first time, thats a fact. If your theory were correct, all mower blades would only have a 1/4" of the tip sharpened. This would work up to a certain speed of the mower travelling forward. Any faster, and it would be skipping a lot of grass. This is why a Scythe is fully sharpened. Think of that and apply it to a mower blade. Its how much it can "bite" off each rotation.

PLUS, it's only a 12" diameter of each blade that we're talking about.

I dont know what you are getting at here, so I'll leave that alone.

As for the drag theory, I proved you wrong around 1998 when I noticed that the replacement OEM Dixie Chopper blades were thicker .203 vs .250. It lowered my peak RPM's and slowed them down more in thick grass. Its not a weight thing, its a frontal area aerodynamics thing.

Blade dullness is partially due to foriegn objects being hit. They will usually be hit right away. However, I have had real bad gouges in the middle of a blade as well! I will agree that probably close to 80% of the cutting is done in the first 6", but that extra 20% is sure nice to have, and IS noticable!
  5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Thank-you for agreeing on the aerodynamics part anyway.

If you're counting on the middle of the blade to cut the "stragglers" what is going to cut the stanglers at the mid-point between the spindles?
  6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

What was your grade in physics?
  7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Kent, that is true. Blades only overlap by about a .5" or so. This is because the tip if the blade cuts all the grass. It is just another gimmick.
  8. First 2 inches does just about all the cutting
  9. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

If the front of the deck is pitched down, and the tip the blade cuts the grass, as the mower moves forward wouldn't the blade be turning above the cut grass the further back it goes? Just wondering myself.
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i see they offer a striping roller now for the back of the deck.