new exmark veers

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rockstate, Jan 26, 2004.

1. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

i just used my tthp for the first time and it was tracking perfectly and then i put on the jungle wheels and it was veering way to the right, why does this happen? I tried to adjust the tracking but it kept veering.. this doesnt happen when i take the jungle wheels off.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Rockstate,

Great post. I hope everyone that has a hydro walk behind reads this one.

More than likely the pump drive belt is slipping from the added load. The problem isn't the belt or the load. These are just items that add to the situation.

The problem is the pump drive idler pivot. The pivot is out of sight and out of mind so most of us forget to grease it. The grease cakes up and then it doesn't pivot properly and the belt slips.

You'll need to remove the belt and idler pivot. The pull the bushing out of the pivot..........there's a good chance it won't come out on its own. The clean the inner and outer races of the components and polish with emery cloth smear a little grease the surfaces and put it all back together, grease the zerk, replace the belt and you should be in good shape.

This is the most likely the cause for the change in performance when the sulky is added. As a general rule of thumb when a hydro walk or even a zero turn rider pulls to the right when under load, going up hills etc. the pump drive is the first thing to inspect.

Thanks,

Terry

3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Like Terry said, Also check your releif valve. If is open just a little it will cause this when working pumps harder.

4. eXmark

Rockstate,

Fred had one other suggestion to look at. Some time bach he saw a hydro walk that was doing the same thing. Turned out to be a bad bearing in the riding attachment was creating enough drag on one wheel to cause the mower to pull to that side. Makes perfect sense to me. Give it a shot you never know.

Thanks

Terry

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Let me also add to check the air pressure in the mower and the sulky. I found that to do the same thing.

6. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

Terry where is this belt located, I am lost here?

7. eXmark

Rockstate,

They hydro belt is located under the engine deck. It's the one that runs between the two hydro pumps and the engine. The easy way to figure out which one it is look under the rear of the machine while someone pulls on the cold start kit (chain and ring on the RH rear of the engine deck). You'll notice the chain will be attached to an idler arm/pulley assembly. This arm tensions the hydro belt. The pivot on the arm is where your problem most likely is.

Give me a call at 800-667-5296 if it's more convenient.

Thanks,

Terry

8. deason

deason LawnSite Member

I spent a whole day once trying to figure out why my 48" metro was tracking to the right (very hard). Found out that one of the sulky tires was very low. Problem fixed after air adjustment.

9. Bluecaddy

Bluecaddy LawnSite Member

Folks, I'm new to this site but I am already learning more in 24 hours than may dealer knows to date.

I have had similar problems with "pulling" on my 36" HP after installing the sulky (did not have the financial resources last year for the ZTR rider). I was very concerned about the maintenance issues involved with ExMark (tire pressure/etc) that I just purchsed a Scag ZTR. I know it is more expensive but it appears to have a much more user friendly maintenance schedule than the ExMark.

Am I off base on this?

Cheers....

10. eXmark

Bluecaddy,

There's no doubt that any commercial ZTR has a more user friendly maintenance schedule than most walk behind mowers and probably all gear drive walk behind mowers.

What you may not realize however is that the Exmark Lazer and Lazer HP are two of the lowest maintenance machines on the market. The "no maintenance" spindles along with annual maintenance items such as wheel bearings, hydro drive system and caster pivots are all first's in this industry. The balance of the lubrication points require weekly maintenance or even greater service intervals.

Thanks,

Terry