new eXmark!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeklein, Jun 22, 2002.

1. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

Picked up my new 48" metro today,cuts like a dream!I am using a 6X10 open trailer being pulled by a mazda 4cyl.It does alright for now until I can afford that new F250 diesel.I am not very good at manuvering the trailer though.I am terrible at backing it up.Any tips?I friend told me just steer in the opposite direction you want the trailer to go,but that doesnt always work.Alot of my accounts are in narrow street suburbs,where alot of times you cant find room to park even a truck.My only idea was to put a velke on the mower,park the truck@trailer in a suitable spot and drive the mower to the home!I am seriously thinking about a LWB flat bed trck with ramps.I guess i just need practice with the trailer.
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

:dizzy: :dizzy: It's always a treat to watch someone back a small trailer up. Double axle's are much easier.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It takes a little time to learn and be confident about backing up a trailer. My first trailer was a 4X8 behind a 4 cylinder Chevy S-10 and it could be a doosy to back up. Just be carefull and take your time.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The shorter the trailer the more interesting it becomes. Keep practicing, you'll get it.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

A longer trailer is alot easier to back up then a short one. do you use your mirrows, or look out the back window. easier to look out the back window, just the pro truckers will laugh at you, but who cares better than wrecking the back of your truck, LOL
  6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

You will eventually get the hang of it. Like the others said, small trailers aren't easy and practice. It will become second nature. When I back up without the trailer, I will sometimes turn the wheel as if the trailer is there.
  7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Practice. Go to an empty parking lot and set up some cones or something. Trust all of us, you'll get the hang of it and wonder to yourself what the big deal was.
  8. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Try putting your hand at the bottom of the steering will (6 O'Clock position) and steer the trailer the way that you want it to go.. It did not work well for me because I am too used to steering opposite of where I want to go. Might work for you if you do not have a steering habit.

Practice...Practice... Practice..

It took me about 3 months and there are not many situations where I am concerned now.

Good Luck!!
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've got a 6x12 single axle that i was using a 4cyl ranger to pull with, till it died that is. now i have a 1990 f-150 4x4 with a 351 :D

do you use mirrors to back or do you turn your body to face out the back window.
  10. jpzink

jpzink LawnSite Member

Thirty two years ago I started pulling horse trailers and have had to pull all makes since at work and play. Practice always makes perfect. Truckers use their mirrors, because they usally can't look out the back window. Even if they could, they wouldn't. Using the mirrors puts you in complete control of the rear as well as the front of the vehicle. Take your time when you back up and do not make sharp or sudden turns. Turn the truck wheels in the opposite direction of the way you want the trailer to turn before you begin to back up, then back slowly until the trailer begins to turn, then begin turning the wheel slowly back the other direction and start following the trailer. Take your time, you will get it. Check around for someone who is good at backing and ask him for some hands on training. Good luck.