New F-250

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike Felices, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I am going to start looking at the Ford F-250 series this coming fall. I know that I want to have a Diesel engine. What kind of experiences have you guys had with this engine? What are some of the options that you find useful to have on the truck? i.e. extended cab or crew cab. What kind of tow rating does this truck have? Is it worth getting the 350 with the dually and a deisel, or just a 250 with the diesel? How many people have a 4x4? Any information would be a great help. If you have any responses to something that I may have missed please let me know. Thanks.

Mike Felices
    Mike's Lawn Service
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, go to , there is all kinds of info. there and you can build the truck you want and price it out. I have a 2000 F-250 crewcab diesel. Awesome truck. Options are totally up to you and what you want to spend. I love the extra room the crewcab offers. If you plan on doing plowing you will have to find out which trucks can handle plows and so on. All that info. is right at the tips of your fingers here on the internet. I have 20,000 miles on my truck already and haven't had any problems yet. I get about 17 to 18 mpg. Hard to check in winter because I let it warm up for 20 minutes every morning. I have had GM's my whole life and this is my first Ford, no regrets yet. Good luck with your purchase! Oh yah, beat those salesmen up. I probably spent 2 months off and on checking prices and there was some serious different amounts between some of them, some will just not budge. It's a popular truck and they think they got you over the barrel. Shop shop shop! I ordered mine to get exactly what I wanted, I was in no hurry and I know you can do a little better on price. Good luck.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Just to let you know...... Im getting 9 miles to the gallon with my 2000 f-250 gas v-8 ext cab not pulling a trialer! Maybe a little more incentive to buy a deisel!
  4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

we get 17 mpg without trailer V10 engine.....
  5. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD LawnSite Member

F-250 has an 8800gvwr as where an F-350 has a 9900lbs gvrw there is not much diffrence in price betwen the two modles. Being that both are SRW you gain about a 1000lbs payload with the F350. F-250 and 350 SRW pickups both come with Dana 50 front axles and Sterling 10.25 rear axles. 87-97 F-350's had Dana 60 front axles which you get with F-350 C&C DRW.
    PSD it is a great motor. Both of my SD's have 4R100 automatics in them and they both plow and tow well.

If the truck is going to be used for tow a trailer from lawn to lawn. But if you are thinking a DRW F-350 that you will put a dump body on. Here is my piece of advice to that my F 350 C&C with dump body weighs in at 9100lbs with a gvwr of 12500lbs in turn that means I can carry 1.7 tons legaly. My F550 diffrent dunp body but same options from ford weighs in at 9500lbs and a gvwr of 17,500lbs means I can carry 4 tons of material. The othere thing that i have found is that the 19.5" rubber on the 550 has made it a better tow vehicle and the 4:88 make a big diffrence up here in the hills.

also you can try for more super duty info.
  6. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Can you get a F-350 ext. cab?? I've seen a 350 crew cab.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

pcs,Yes you can.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2001 f-250 4x4 crewcab deisel automatic and I love everything about it except the fuel mileage- it gets between 9-12mpg at anytime, don't let people tell you about the great fuel mileage a deisel gets- I listened to all this mileage figures and they were 17 to 22mpg-WRONG!!!!!!!
    Hey lonestar are you sure that v10 gets 17 mpg- it must be a standard shift 2wd or something.
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Maybe for your truck, but making a statement that we are wrong in our figures is also WRONG!!!!! I figured my MPG at the pump and the figures are accurate. Each truck is different and driving habits can dictate the final MPG. As Lonestar posted, he gets 17 MPG with a V10, unheard of around here. Sorry to hear that about your truck, maybe with more miles it will get better.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

17 mpg with a V10?i got a bridge for sale too.An Explorer doesnt even get 17 mpg average with a 302 V-8.My mileage figures are average daily,not highway-downhill tailwind.My Dodge diesel 4x4 got 18 mpg average,it is much better on fuel than the V10.