1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New F350 6.0

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by JDSKIDSTEER, Mar 1, 2007.

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a new 2007 F350 with 6.0 this week at work. I have been hearing bad things about the 6.0 engine. Any feed back here about engine failures? I took a 90 mile delivery Saturday and loved the power. Tried out my new TomTom one GPS system also. Awesome for locating delivery point.
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It seems they either run or they don't. Ford and Navistar are arguing over who is going to pay for all the warranty work on the 6.0 Navistar has quite shipping Ford's new motor the 6.4. lawsuits have been filed. Its a mess.

Hopefully yours truck is a company truck. I personally would not buy a 6.0 but but if someone gave me one to drive for work, what the heck. You just don't want to be the one getting the repair bills when the warranty expires.
  3. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Funny how subjects show up at the same time you hear things!!!!!!!!!about what is posted here??????

My brother is a mechanic at local Ford dealer,while there visiting my brother,i was talking to another mechanic and he was telling me all kinds of things that goes on with the 6.0.I couldn't beleive what he told me.

He was working on one at the time.Wouldn't run because didn't have enough oil pressure to let it start.Said it probably had interior leak that was the reason.Said also that if they gel up that they will take out injectors from not getting enough fuel.

Also was telling me guys pulling down the interstate working there truck has experienced where the head bolts strecthed enough to let anti freeze to leak.They had to replace head bolts with studs into block for the heads on one truck he worked on.

He went to schooling on the new 6.4 (08) and said that to work on them you have to remove the cab on the truck to do any major work on the motor.They had a speical sling to remove cab.That sounds like a joke to me.

He said the 7.3 was a lot better to work on.
  4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

We have an '03 6.0 and have no problems with it. The scare about the 6.0 came from a computer issue in the first 6.0s to me produced. They received 7.3 computers. This cause injector problems, other computer problems, etc. Since that issues was found and fixed, the 6.0 is a good engine. Mine was a company Buyback truck, properly fixed from the computer issue and we have had no more problems.
  5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 03 lemon computer problems, 7 injectors, and 2 turbo's. Now i have a 06 and it seems okey. I think they got the bugs worked out.
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am trying not to be biased. I don't think anyone can call the 6.0 a good motor. The 7.3 was a good motor, as is the 5.9 a good motor, the 6.6 is turning out to be a good motor. The 6.0 is clearly not a good motor. You may have one that will run, but overall if Ford/IH could take that engine back they would. The warranty claims on that engine alone have been huge, why do you think Ford/IH are filing lawsuits over who is responsible for funding the claims. Like I said, having a 6.0 that is dependable is hit and miss. There are some that seem to run fine and others that cant stay running. That is not the traits of a solid engine design.
  7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with KSSS. I know about 6 companies that have about 10 6.0 PSD between them, and at least half of those trucks have had MAJOR repairs done to them. Injectors and computers were the biggest problems. Some of those trucks have been fine, but as a whole, that engine is a big time failure. Ford and IH aren't breaking their arms to pat the other on the back. Navistar makes their PSD's here in Indy, and a judge just made them start the assembly again after a 4 day shutdown of 1600+ employees. They are in court with Ford to see who is responsible for covering the warranty work on the 6.0 Oh No's! The 7.3 was a major success for Ford and IH, but the future between the two after all this looks to be in jeopardy. I don't know when their contract runs out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they parted ways. Ford is banking on the new Super Duty and the 6.4 to be a big hit. Personally, I think the engine looks like a P.I.A. to work on, and I think that the small twin set-up, which still doesn't outpower a LMM Duramax, will take some time to prove itself. I definetly wouldn't buy a 6.4 until it has been out for a while, and then they would be 3rd behind the Duramax and Cummins.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

As much of a Ford fan that I am, I wouldn't buy any of the newer Fords. Love the trucks, the engine is just too iffy. If I had to buy a truck tomorrow, it would be a Dodge with the Cummins and a manual tranny (no tranny issues!). Buy a 100K warranty for the Dodge's components that aren't the motor and tranny and sell it when it gets to 100K. Either that or a Chevy, I hate to betray Ford because we've had great luck with our 7.3's, but those days are over. My dad is rounding 200K on his F350 and we're trying to figure out what to do with the truck, rebuild or buy something else. The problem with rebuilding the 7.3 in his F350 is that the chassis will fall apart before the rebuilt motor does, a problem our F450 wouldn't have. That was my big push to keep the F450, but dad wanted to let it go, so we did.
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I guess no one can read:

The scare about the 6.0 came from a computer issue in the first 6.0s to me produced. They received 7.3 computers. This cause injector problems, other computer problems, etc. Since that issues was found and fixed, the 6.0 is a good engine.

If you know what you are up against, you can fix it. If not, then oh well. Ford started a buyback program for the '03 6.0s so that they could get them fixed and not have as many warranty claims. Mine had a new 6.0 computer, injectors, glow plugs, IPC switch and glow plug module installed as part of the fix. We have had zero problems with it since we bought it. '04 and later 6.0s did not have these problems. I wish they would keep the 6.0, it is a solid engine.
  10. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

I do think the area a person lives in will have some influence on the problems a person has on their trucks,equipment and etc.

The change in temperature being a big factor,cold starts,working conditions,sand ,heat the list goes on.

So with that said injectors might not be as much a problem in some areas as in other areas,and etc.

I guess as long it is working for you,just feel lucky,because evdiently it isn't working for everyone.:dancing: