New F550 V10 price

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Oct 10, 2011.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

They are all diesels. Anyone know what a 4wd V10 price is like?

2. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now 2011 550 reg. cab 4x4 35-37k i would think. Call Century Ford in Mt Aiery MD and ask for Mike Allen . This guy is no bs and know ford trucks better than Ford does.We have the v 10 in a 450 . Great engine ! Alsomst the same or better mpg then the 6.4s and wont end up in the shop like the 6.0 or 6.4. Time will tell with the 6.7

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Is that MSRP? Sounds high for actual sale price. Dodge 5500 with Cummins is 40k after you beat them down.

4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I could not even imagine buying a medium duty truck without a Diesel. Once you hook up a decent 15-20K load the gasser is going really bog down while the 6.7 in the 5500 drives off with ease. When the gasser is used up and ready for the crusher the Cummins Diesel will still be going strong. The Cummins will cost you a whole lot less per mile to operate.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

not really. I can replace the gas motor twice for the cost of a diesel. I tow 15 k with my 2500.n

Id rather have a diesel but not a ford one and 8 k is alot of $$$$ to me.

6. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

The v 10 is a great motor. How many miles would you be putting on it a year ?

7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

With a Diesel you must think long term investment and cost per mile. I'm from Maine originally but live in Texas now. Up north it seems everyone has shallower pockets and is short term minded. You see a lot of gasser HD's up north.

Down south in Texas it is Diesel central. Very few gassers and often is you see one it's a home owner not a contractor. Down here contractors often work the crap out of their truck pulling heavy loads that cause gassers to wear out quickly.

Diesel's have a flat torque curve which is what you want for towing. Max torque is made at about 1600 rpm's. Gassers often make max torque at at least 3000+ rpms and have a very peaked torque curve. When you hook up a trailer to a Diesel it actually helps spool up the turbo and the truck makes more power. Diesels love to be worked and are just built to a much higher standard (unless it's a Ford).

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

4-8k miles. I do lawn care too so there is no reason to use a med duty truck for that stuff. Keeping my 2500 and would also like a tandem eventually.

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

I know diesels are way better performing. 5 times better. Still dont think your saving anything with a diesel though. Maybe saving down time due to drivetrain replacement on the gasser. I bet cost over the life is darn close.

10. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

Just sold my last diesel a Dodge 3500, good truck didn't drive it much because the GMC 3500 w/ a454 drives out better. I bought this truck new in 2000 paid about 20k for it and have put a clutch and brakes on it. Gets 10.5 empty and 7-8 loaded I use it mostly to pull 7X14 gooseneck dump with 6 ton dense grade will scale 24000 lbs. I also have 01 GMC crew cab 3500 w/ 8.1 gets 8 mpg will drag a house people think it's great looking truck bought last Jan. for $6500. use every day crew drives from shop and pulls job trailer. Last month we did 84000 in business on $600. on fuel now I have owned diesels and an all diesel equipment fleet and do 90% on repair and maintenence in house. Pumps, injectors and so on. I can't see the money in the diesel pickup. If I did I would buy them but its not there.