New f550 v10

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BrandonV, Aug 3, 2010.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

hey guys, thinking about trading in our 08 LCF for a f550 because we need an extended cab. diesel is a $7500 option now, so I thinking of going gas. Frankly because its our maintenance truck, it travels less than the others 33k on the lcf in 2 years of driving. I don't think with diesel at a 30ยข premium I'll ever make up the difference. so opinions on the v10 please.

2. wvmike

wvmike LawnSite Member

you cant go wrong with a v10. i love them. every since ford let the 7.3 go its the only way to go now.

3. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 08 450 extra cab with the v 10 and 4:88 rear. Love the truck. It has a 12 solid side dump body with a wheel barrel rack on the top and gets 8 - 9 mpg towing or not. Tons of power . Might be Fords best motor ever. There are tons of these things out there with well over 300k on them and running strong. A friend has a 09 550 crew cab with the same body and rear and get 5.6 mpg with the diesel 6.4

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the V-10 you will have to order one because the dealers want to rip you off by making you buy a overpriced diesel. You read tow 411.net there are guys buying F-450-550 V-10 powered tow trucks and having very good sucess with them.

Diesel trucks are not worth it they cost way too much money and too many head aches. There is no resale value to them nobody wants a used one without warranty.

5. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a new gas truck. The milage is bad for the new diesels anyway, its doesn't help to make that huge jump in the initial investment for one... the V-10's are a workhorse.

6. cashishift

cashishift LawnSite Member

the mileage is great once you take off all the stupid emissions things.

7. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but then tha puts waay more money that the gas, as it's already 7500. Have your truck done over, and you're looking at nearly 10k just to have a diesel.

8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

I can put a brand new v 10 in mine for what the 6.4s emision system costs.

9. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

what kind of bed will go on the truck? it may be possible to get a double cab isuzu.

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why it makes sense today to go gas on a new truck, the diesels pull better but you don't have to illegally modify a gas truck to make it run right. Right now diesels are where gas engines were 20-25 years ago. Once manufacturers figure out how to make diesels meet emission standards, get good fuel economy and be reliable, diesel will once again be the way to go.