New Fastrak observations...

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mark602, Apr 1, 2006.

1. mark602

mark602 LawnSite Member

Like many of you a friend had a hustler, showed me the features, and I was sold. Received my 20/52 honda last week.... love the cut and the drive, but had some concerns/suggestions (if anyone is listening?).

First, the seat has 4 bolts that slide in tracks on the seat tray. There is 8-10 inches clear behind my seat, yet the tracks for the front seat screws are at the back-limit and the back seat screws can go back another 2". Did I get a miscut seat tray? I could drill new holes, but I'm funny about my stuff and I would have to get touch up paint.

Second, this doesn't sound like a big deal but the controls hit either my chest or the armrests. If I raise the armrests there is 4-6" between the controls and the seatback. I could change the pitch of the handles, but it feels natural at 90 degrees when finding the p-brake.

Third, my buddy has the superZ and when comparing (granted its apples/oranges ie commercial vs. residential), however I hate to see a great product diminished to save 4-5 dollars. The seat, beltguard, and the foottray (all which allows access for cleaning/maintenance) on mine requires you remove bolts. The Z either has thumbscrews or a quicklatch for quick access and cleaning. If you plan to clean after each use, plan on 15 minutes to remove these obstacles. I scoured Home Depot, hardwares stores, and online looking for these 5/6" coarse thread rosette thumbscrews NOTHING!!!

These are just my 2 cents. Hope to hear your comments and observations. :usflag:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Welcome to the Hustler family!
    And thank you for purchasing a Hustler mower.
    I will address each of your concerns.
    1) The slots are different lengths for a seat change we made last season, the slots with your seat are the right length, remounting the seat anywhere other than where the slots are, will cause the unit to not pass consumer products safety commission (CPSC) tests that we perform and pass on all our residential products.
    The particular test in regards to seat position is a up hill stability test.
    There is nothing wrong with your seat tray.
    2) Adjusting the levers is part of setting the unit for your individual comfort, and there is also a set of extensions you can install if you feel the levers are to close to your chest.
    If you feel the levers are further out of adjustment than you think they should be, contact your dealer and we will get this taken care of.
    3) This is another CPSC item, per the regulations set forth, we can not make the covers and such removable with out tool's.
    This is a safety item and will not change.
    Commercial use units do not have to adhere to CPSC regulations, commercial units adhere to ANSI standards.

You can basically thank government and lawyers for anything in regards to CPSC testing and standards.

3. mark602

mark602 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply and clearing up some of the problems.

I understand the uphill stuff, unfortunately I'm in Southeast Georgia, which is coined the lowcountry. The largest hill is a fireant mound, and any hill over 2degrees is manmade.

As far as the handles, they don't need an extension (up I'm assuming). If I stand beside the unit, raise the armrests, and pull the handles 100% rearward, they are inches from the seatback. Sure I could loosen the bottom screw and rotate the handles forward, but it would feel more natural if the seat were back.

Thanks anyways for the comments. One other question.... there is a cast piece on the front of the pumps that pivots with the control handles, it has a bolt and a lock nut holding it on and it pivots over a threaded shaft. Should the threaded shaft have nuts there? I ask because the first thing I noticed when I received mu hustler was the right handle moved freely. I took of the seat and the actuator (proper term??? the piston thing that provides resistance) was laying loose unconnected. This was before I ever turned the blades on.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No, there is no nuts on those shafts.
    As far as the dampener not being on, that wasn't right.
    E-mail me your model and serial # so I can report it to our quality control team.

Pj

5. Shannon Phillips

Shannon Phillips LawnSite Member
    from indiana

PJ, I have the same concerns on the seat, and the controls. I understand the seat issue. Could you tell me the part numbers for the control extensions? Also, do you have any pics of the extensions? I have only used my 20 52 Fastrak for 2 hours and really like it.

Thanks.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here is the part # and MSRP.

Steering Lever Extension Kit, FasTrak part # 333724 MSRP $42

I am sorry, I do not have a picture of the extension kit.

Pj

7. Diamondjim

Diamondjim LawnSite Member

I had the same issue with the seat. I could stand to lose a few pounds and the levers would not comfortably let me reverse the machine. I had to make an "adjustment" to the bolt holes so the seat would fit me better. I don't have enough of a hill to worry about. Other than that, after 10 whole hours, I really enjoy my Fastrack 18/44. JB