New feature: user reputation

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by LSAdmin, Sep 5, 2004.

1. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

It is now possible for you to rate other users here at LawnSite. If you find that they made a good post, you can click on the scale just above their post and enter that you agree with the post, while you can enter that you disagree if you find the post worthless.

Each user has 10 reputation points to start with, and may not rate other users if he has less than that. The number of reputation points that you add or remove to a user that you rate depends on your reputation power, which is based on different factors, such as your number of posts and the time since you registered.

This system should help members determine the credibility of some posts by looking at the reputation of their authors, instead of simply looking at their number of posts (which is an unreliable measure).

You can have an idea of the reputation of an user by looking at the small icon(s) below the number of posts from the user, on top of each post. If you put your mouse over the image(s), a small text description will be shown.

For now, the description for each user is "off the scale" since nobody was rated yet, but this should change with time.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any question about this new feature. I hope you enjoy it!

GrassMaster and Rex Mann like this.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what happens though if people rate other people poorly over and over?

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Seems to me something like this can be abused by the wrong people. Kind of a popularity contest, imo. Are there other implications other than just reputation? Will people be punished for having a bad rep??

4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah i was thinking the same thing,if there is a member on here disliked then it could be brutal on them...

5. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

What is this, a message board for the green industry or 3rd grade?

Can I get a gold star by my name if I get a correct answer?

:sleeping:

ACER likes this.
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like one of the worst ideas that has come up on lawnsite. Another popularity poll sanctioned by the owners :dizzy: Really needs to go away before it gets started. Some forums have ratings of the thread, haven't seen one that allows you to rate other members

Acute Cut likes this.
  7. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

It's just a feature of this version of V-Bulletin I know of other sites that have this and it is used in a good way. The monitors here can intervene if some one abuses it. You might at least give new things a chance before you condemn them. IMHO

8. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

All what reputation does is to display a rating bar at the top of each post with the user reputation. If you get bad ratings, you will not lose any of your privileges at LawnSite.

We believe that this feature will be used properly, but may disable it if that is not the case.

There are several mechanisms in place to prevent abuse. For example, we can prevent a specific user from rating others, and you can't just rate one user all the time.

So far, only four ratings have been given, and they are all positive. Please give this feature some time to start being used, and if you still believe that it is a bad idea, let us know and we'll see if we disable it or not.

9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets give it a try and see what happens,no point in criticizing it...

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is what I feel will happen

mtdman likes this.