1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new fee, what to charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK new for 2005 I'm starting a Friday prem. fee. what should i charge? i want to do all lawns Mon- Thur. (fri-sat catching up on other jobs) and if they want it done on Friday a fee for it? am i alone on this?
  2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I had a few people that wanted it cut on friday.... I wouldnt ask them for more money.. I told them if I could do it on friday I would if not it will be done when I get there....

I would imagine that they would be a bit surprized if you asked for more money for the same serivice on a friday....
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not at all...around me that is staus quo to get more for Friday scheduling.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I fully agree with Rod and a Fri cut should be "special" as everyone wants that day so they should pay for it. We have 4 levels of service (Basic, Standard, Premium and Premier) The Premium includes a Thurs or Fri cut in the contract and the Premier level states a Fri cut in the contract. Of course both those services include more then just mow and go and they are quoted higher and the Fri cut used as a selling tool.

Now as to a Thurs or Fri cut on the Basic and Standard service, we charge an additional $2.00 per cut for those days and only accept them as we have slots open. With that said we also however offer a discount to anyone (residential only) of the same $2.00 that takes a Mon cut.
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Rod-How muc more for a Friday cut?
    Around here a lot of people want it also but I stick to one area on Friday to keep my route as tight as possible.
  6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! So what if you have 2 houses next to each other and one wants the premium and one doesnt want to pay more? Isnt that a waste of gas traveling back and forth ?
  7. rodfather

25 - 33% more. And there is NO NEGOTIATING btw...
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

That sound like it really makes it worth your time that way.
    What about rain days?If you are behind during the week then I guess they would still get done on Friday.What if it is raining on Friday you go on Saturday or try fot Thursday?
  9. rodfather

If Friday is gonna be a washout, as late as possible then on Thursday even if it means OT. Saturday is next option.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd charge an extra 25%.

I know this is apples and oranges, but I've got 2 banks, owned by the same guy that I plow.

Now plowing and mowing are 2 different things, because it's alot harder to control the weather, timing with plowing than with mowing, but I charge him an extra 40% because he wants one bank plowed at 5 am, and the other bank plowed immediately after the first.

I said ok, I'll juggle my schedule around and work with that, but it'll cost you more.

He didn't care, he wanted to have a clean lot to start the day each day.

However, your problem is, you're going to get everyone to be on Thursday, and save that extra 25%, and those that were on Thursday will have to be bumped back to Wednesday, etc.

Personally, I don't give people a choice when their lawn is going to be mowed.

I also only do 2 residential customers, and they don't care when the lawn is mowed.

Another reason I got out of the residential market and into only commercial / industrial accounts. They don't care.

However, I do let my commercial / industrial accounts know, if they've got some big-wig coming in, I'll mow the lawn that morning, for no extra charge, as long as it doesn't increase my mowing numbers for the year.

i.e. I do everything on a flat monthly fee. I mow an account here, where they supply alot of the small small parts for Arctic Cat snowmobiles / ATVs. When the head cheese / purchasing guy comes to town, they let me know a week ahead of time.

If the grass is growing quickly, and I'll end up mowing 3 times in 2 weeks, instead of the usual 1 time each week, I charge an extra %. If it's later in the year, and I'm down to every 10-14 days, and it'll still be 2 times in 2 weeks or 3 weeks if I go and mow when the big-wig is coming to town, I don't charge extra, even if it's not the usual day to mow.

Everything I mow is within 4 miles of each other except for 1 day, so it's not that big of a deal to mow an account on a different day than normal.