New fence - no gate = price increase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Jun 19, 2008.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Customer is putting in a new fence in the back yard. Must be having someone do it on weekends.

Saw the posts in and e-mailed him about putting in a large gate or at least have one section removable. No response.

Get there today and the horizontal cross members are all screwed into place. Looks like he isn't going to provide either a gate or removable section.

Took me about 3 minutes to cut the back with a 52" walk behind. Took me about 8-10 to cut with a 21".

How should I word another e-mail letting him know that it would be to his benefit to do what I had asked. Cutting takes longer. Fall clean-up will take twice as long (1 vs 2 hours).

Dear customer,

It would be greatly appreciated if you could make one section of fence removable. Without it, the time spent for lawn service and fall clean-up will be extra, which will ultimately lead to a price increase. Please get back to me.

Thank you
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd change the wording to read "which will lead to an immediate price increase". I think it will create a sense of urgency on his part.
  3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Leave it alone or you can try to explain all of the benefits that would benefit his family. In your letter you make it all about your precieved equity and not theirs.
  4. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

yeh you should definitely talk to him, maybe in person but let him know that putting in a gate will cost more now but will pay itself off later. And if he does not listen just include a note about the increase in his next invoice.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think I've ever seen a fence without a this a New England thing?
  6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

My bad. He is putting in a 36" gate, but that ain't big enough.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I gotcha.

If you pointed it out in advance, then I would definitely up the price a bit.
  8. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Just go up on it and if they ask tell them. You already made an effort.... they need to make theirs
  9. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

from my angle if im the home owner ide think ' **** a 36" gate is plenty , they could get a decent size 32" machine back there and do my small back yard in a couple minutes . if they want to raise my rates good ridance . "

plus to me if one goes bigger than a 36 inch gate they become difficult to keep straight / sturdy and end up leaning downward towards the latch end and i thusly wouldnt put one on my fence .
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Ugh. Anytime I have a customer make the job harder, I take 'em to the cleaners. And what's funny, is I've NEVER lost one of these accounts. So I'm happier - because my $/minute is better...