new fence

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what is the procedure here? no bashing, no bickering, i need answers. we have a client who we service on a regular basis. there is a 150 ft long hedge on each side of the property. not even sure what kind. it's decidious, i think it's refered to as "privot." now, in the past, there would be tons of leaves that get into the hedge line . we simply went onto the neighbors side, and blew the leaves onto our clients lawn, and sucked them up. here's the problem. from the last time we were there, to now, the client had a solid white plastic fence put up. this eliminates the possibility of blowing from the neighbors side. the fence was put up right against the hedge, there is no room to get between the fence and hedge, and blow the leaves out. the only way to get this clean, was to get on our knees, and crawl like reptiles and hand pick the stuff. this added easily over an hour (2 man hrs) to the time of the cleanup. do you approach the client, and tell him you need more $$? do you say screw it and dew it? do u expect a cookie, and a patt on the head for your extra effort? thank you in advance

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would explain to the customer how you did the leaves prior to the fence being there and now what the situation is like. Document with them the additional hours it now takes to do the same job as before.

I'm sure they can see your additional effort bobby even with out mentioning being on your hands and knees. Good luck...btw, the extra $$$ will buy me all the cookies I need for the time being.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think you should go with what rodfather said. They've really created an obstacle for you. Guess those leaves will be considered mulch now. If they really want them out you'd have to charge more.

4. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah no doubt I think you have to charge more, time is money

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, stand back ... BG does do some things the right way - kudos

Now In this case, if you gave a quote for clean-up and were not informed about the fence install and you were faced w/ additional time for the clean-up why yes, by all means, charge for your time. Actually in your case for effort since you don't charge hourly :D .

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

of course charge them.

7. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

charge more. its like going to house with a huge back yard. usually you just take the 52in. ztr back there and burn it out in 25 min. Next week you go back; new fence so the pooch won't run away and a gate that is 38in. The 36in mower takes 45-50min. and you have to walk.
    That yard is going up, why ? more time to cut and more physical labor=$$$

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, ok. now, SUPPOSE, i made the trip there, saw the new fence, realized it was much more time consuming, customer wasn't home. NOW, do i do the work, and charge him extra, OR, do i leave, and reschedule. if i reschedule, it means i have to charge a sevice fee for the "dead" trip over there today. please advise

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Reschedule without the dead trip surcharge. Period

10. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah forget the dead trip