New Ferris 1500z question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was only able to get a glance at this mower at GIE...

So I wanted to ask, does this unit still have the deck attached to the suspension so it articulates with the tires like the other Ferris IS models?
    I can't tell from the pictures on their site.....

THANKS

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I don't know if your aware of this or not but the front suspension on the 1500 is not IS. The front axle pivots and the deck is attached to the frame but I know for sure its attached to the rear suspension.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I know it's a pivoting axle setup with suspension.

So the front of the deck is attached to the main frame?
    So the front of the deck does NOT pivot with the front tires?

4. egbaker

egbaker LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have an IS1500 (48"/21Hp) and, from all appearances, the deck is hung from the frame. I think I prefer this setup because the deck is pulled by trailing links from the the front axle pivot support. This seems to be an easier arrangement for removing the deck, although I haven't tried that trick yet. The Front suspension pivots and has shocks/springs on the corners. The rear also has shock/spring suspension but is a "live axle". I have used mine twice so far this year and I have a very rough lawn.

I went from a Kubota B7300 compact diesel tractor, because I needed the handling (lots of trees). I am very happy with the cut. Better than the tractor and a lot smoother at much higher speed. I even had put very low air pressure in the tractor, but this machine is much easier on the butt. I am very happy with this machine.

If you can afford it and can justify the cost then get the fully independent bigger units IS1000/3000/5000) On these,I think, the deck is connected to the rear indpendent wheel supports. I think the rear on the 4500 is live axle also.

5. Envy Lawn Service

I was just trying to see if it was noteworthy to look at for a 48"/52" ZTR.
    I was curious if the deck pivoted with the front wheels like it does on the IS1000/3000 machines to aid the deck in following ground contours.

I hear a lot of complaints about gouging from machines like Gravely and Lesco/Cub, which have a pivoting front axle and a frame hung deck like a lawn tractor.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'm pretty sure the front of the deck is attached directly to the frame.