1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new ferris 3000 extreme setup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bertha, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Bertha

Bertha LawnSite Member

I bought this new machine 5 weeks ago - a necessity to save time and I have spent nearly as many hours working on the set up on this machine at night as I have mowing w/it during the day. There are a couple of concerns I have w/ this machine. When I checked the blade tip heights and pitch, I realized the center spindle's pitch was opposite of the outer two. A difference of over 1/4". The engine appears to be mounted crooked onto the frame. The deck was nearly touching the drive tire on right hand side, and was 1 1/2 inches from the drive tire on the left hand side. (would mow in a straight line as if going around a tree, the inside blade was not cutting clean.) Every bracket appears to be welded on askew, none like the one on the opposite side. I've had to adjust significantly to straighten out the deck. The drive tires appear to have negative camber, and the more I preload the rear springs, it appears the more negative the camber on the tires. The front wheels have positive camber. It seems as if the more it's bereaking in, the more everything is changing. The speed of the machine can't be anywhere near the advertised 10mph/6mph, it's more like 7mph/3mph. Engine rpm's were set at 3100(3600 now).I am curious to know what the blade speed is. The blade clutch belt slips even when properly adjusted. The motor puffs a lot of white smoke when first started periodically. I'm curious to know if there is any one else out there having any of these same problems w/ their machine.
  2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Did you buy your machine through a dealer or private party? If I bought it through the dealer he would have already replaced the machine. If I bought it through a private party I would have returned it. Sounds like the machine was riding on a trailer that got ran over by a Semi-truck. Sounds like the whole machine (frame, deck and all) is out of whack.
  3. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

u say 'new'........ever thought about returning it to dealer, before u modify things and they claim u r at fault and then ure stuck with the piece of junk
  4. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

5. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

Bertha, We run all Ferris machines and have never had the problems you are talking about. What dealer are you using in Michigan? If you are any where near Grand Rapids I would try Corner Sales Cory