New Ferris 36" Walk Behind - CCWKAV1536 (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by OakNut, Mar 18, 2012.

1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

After making it through last season using only a 21" Toro Super Recycler, a little over a week ago I purchased my first walk behind mower!

Ferris Comfort Control DD 36" hydro.

Crappy cell phone pics from the showroom first...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's apparently not a recent manufacture unit, as it has the sensor-grip operator presence system, and that feature has been discontinued.

I asked what the price would be for the 2012 model and was told $5,399 - same unit minus the sensor grips.
    I paid $4,750. Also got 0% financing for 36 months.

[​IMG]

I had narrowed my search down to Exmark, Ferris, or Toro. (all avail from local dealer)
    I also set a maximum price of $5,000.

Toro doesn't offer a hydro until you get up to the 48", so that was a factor, as I was leaning toward a hydro if affordable.

The Exmark in a similar size - 36" Turf Tracer S-Series (floating deck hydro) was "show priced" at $5,400. (Reg $5,900) Doesn't even have electric start!

What sold me on this Ferris:

- It has the infinitely adjustable deck (not in 1/4 or 1/2" increments like others) that can easily be changed by turning two cranks.

- It has electric start. Not a major issue, but certainly a nice option.

- Price. $650 less than the Exmark and under my $5,000 maximum budget.

I can't wait to try cutting with it. :)

2. OakNut

[​IMG]

I discovered a problem with having added sides to my trailer - nowhere to attach tie down straps for something that weighs this much.
    I do have D-rings attached to the inside, but while OK for holding a push mower or tying down a tarp, they would have ripped right out if I had used a ratchet strap on them to secure a 550 lb mower.
    I couldn't really run anything over the side to hook on the frame on the outside, or it would have applied too much pressure on the top edge of the sides. The mesh floor isn't something I'd trust to hold either. I was able to go through the mesh and catch a few of the frame supports, but I have to figure out a better way to secure it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bad lighting, but here's the pics anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I miss any angles? ;)

3. OakNut

Look out grass, here I come...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

4. HPSInc

HPSInc LawnSite Senior Member

i really like that mower. the deck adjustability is very nice.

here is a link to some of my stuff. if you look @ the trailer you will see I have welded D-rings to the top rail. I cut holes through the wood. i can run straps through the holes. worked great for carrying mulch and being able to tarp it down tight. since i got a dump i wont be doing that anymore but thats how i got around it with having boards on the trailer.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=335353&page=3

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  5. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You will love it !!

6. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Nice mower man, hope she serves you well this season and many more to come. Better take some more pictures of it though, she won't be that shiny anymore after the first time you turn them blades on and do some cutting. Congrats

7. LR3

LR3 LawnSite Senior Member

Beautiful mower. Congrats, you're gonna love it.

8. OakNut

Thanks.

I was thinking about boring some holes. I picked up a few eye bolts I may run through the frame and the wood, placing the eye on the inside where I can easily slip a tie down onto. Or maybe 2 D bolts thru the floor secured to the cross frame support... gotta go throw the mower in there and see where things would work best.

9. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the new mower, OakNut!

10. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

did you get that from norwin rental???