New Ferris IS5000z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rough cut, Jul 12, 2005.

1. rough cut

rough cut LawnSite Member

OK, I just took delivery of a new Ferris IS5000 with last years gas engine. Now what? I know, get mowing!!! But anything you all do or look at before you jump on and cut the world? I have an oil filter for my 8 hr oil change and plan on using Mobile One after about 100 hrs for break in. Any words of wisdom or things that I should be on the look out for or listen for during my first mow?

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

sharpen the blades as they do not get them very sharp from new.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Nothing I know of. As the machine gets broke in the ride should improve as thats how our IS 3000 did. Also keep the underside of the deck clean because i've noticed on our's if it gets a lot of grass under there the cut quality will go downhill in a hurry. Have fun with the new machine and i'm sure you'll love it.

4. Shortchained

Shortchained LawnSite Member

Wax every painted surface, including under the deck. You will never do it again. The wax keeps the paint looking better and grass will wash off easyer.

Good Luck with it.

5. rough cut

Well I had the new mower for 2.5 days and finally got 10 acres cut. But I've got problems! Got the mower late the first evening and started mowing. Cut was OK but not great. When I would do the turn around at the end of a row I would smell a rich running engine exhaust. I could look back and see a light amount of black exhaust smoke. Ok, I say to myself, I am running rich. Get on the cell phone and call the dealer who tells me they did a quick rebuild on the carb before delivery due to a gummy build up due to the engine sitting unused with gas in the fuel bowl. It might just be a little gummed up still but should clear itself up within one side tank of gas. Clean the mower up and park it overnight in my shop. Ok, first full day. Engine very hard to start and when I pull up on the choke knob the plastic knob comes off from the cable!!! I finally get the engine running, but running so rough that the radiator is vibrating and making more noise than the engine. I bump up the idle a little and it smooths out a little bit. Pull out to the cutting zone and engage the PTO and the engine dies. Ok crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, putt, putt, putt, putt, putt, varoom, ok I'm running again. Bump up the rpm off idle about mid way and engage the PTO. Dam near kills the engine but it recovers and I push the throttle wide open. RPM slowly builds and I'm ready to start cutting. Start down the first row at about 3 mph and the engine starts to die. I hit the PTO button to disengage the drive but nothing happens. The blades are still turning and the engine dies. Ok, crank, crank........................blades are still turning while I'm cranking, crank, crank.......putt, putt..............varoom, I'm running and the blades are still spinning. Engaged and disengaged the PTO and they continued to spin! Continued to cut and smell raw, unburnt fuel every time it turned around. Continued cutting but about once or twice an hour the mower would seem to loose power and slow way down. I would pull back on the sticks and come to a complete stop and sometimes the engine would recover and sometimes it would die. At mid day worth of cutting I should be getting close to an empty right side tank so I throw the lever to draw from the left tank. Half way down the next row the engine dies. Hey good news!!! The PTO disengaged! Crank, crank, crank, forever, crank....Ok put the lever back to the right tank and the thing finally starts. I can't draw any fuel from the left tank!! Time for me to take it back to my shop and call the dealer. On the ride back up the hill the mower doen't have enough power to climb a slight rise!! It dies again. Finally get it running enough to get back to the shop. I pull the spark plugs and see #3 is dark brown almost black in color. The other two are that nice toast color. So #3 cylinder is running rich. The plug also feels not as hot as the other two. The engine has one coil for each plug. I started looking for a bad coil or plug wire and I find the power lead wire to the bottom of #3 coil is disconnected! I hook it up and hit the start button and it starts right away and running smooth silk with no rich smell. Take it for a quick run around the yard it it runs great. But I still have problems with: Choke knob comes off any time you pull it. Engine still dies about once or twice an hour for no reason, like its running out of fuel even if the tank is full. Still cant draw any fuel from the left tank. Dealer says "Yea, had some people pull them knobs off, need a new cable....." And?!!! What about the stalling, fuel tank, PTO, loose coil wire? "Yea, engine ran rough when we got the mower in new, saw the disconnected wire, thought the mechanic fixed it. Guess not." Any one out there know if the fuel control valve could be connected incorrectly so the left tank could'nt feed fuel? I've tried the lever in the "off" position and the left position but still no luck. Guess my new mower is going back to the dealers shop for a long stay. Is this the norm for you all out there? Spend 11k+ for a mower and have these kinds of issues? Don't tell me it's because it's a Ferris. Post on this web site seem to think Ferris is a great machine. Thanks for letting me vent.
    But I do have to say, when it is running on all cylinders the thing mows great.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I would say you had better get your money back, or find a new dealer. That dealer has dumped a leftover machine, full of problems on you. This machine was certainly not fully checked out and serviced before he delivered it.
    His response to your problems does not sound very encouraging. I would begin documenting everything, as this sounds like it could be the start of a "Lemon Law" situation.

7. Travis Followell

from KY

Sorry to hear about all your problems. The fuel line for the left tank may be clogged up of the fuel cap may not be venting. start it and take the gas cap off the left tank and then switch it over and see what it does. If it still wont run take the line loose from the tank and see if gas flows out and then go from there.

8. rough cut

Well I did some troubleshooting and did some on-line hacking (I'm a computer geek by trade) and got ahold of the dealers setup checklist on the dealers section of the Ferris's web site. In the check list there is one line of instruction telling the setup mechanic to "Turn fuel shut off valves, located on the bottom of the fuel tanks, ON". One the bottom of each saddle tank there is a small shutoff valve! The valve is recessed into the tank and is difficult to see. I don't know if this is the same on all Ferris ZRT's. My left tank valve was off and the right tank was partially closed. this would cause the engine to starve for fuel during certain engine load conditions. i opened both valves completely and tried cutting some wet tall Bahia using the left and right tanks with no problems! Ran for over an hour and the engine never quit. Now all I need to do is get the choke cable replaced.................... :blob3:

9. Travis Followell

from KY

What about the PTO? Are you able to turn the deck on and Off now and how did it do in the wet grass?

10. rough cut

The PTO is work fine now. Only thing I can think of was maybe due to low RPM of the engine the PTO would not disengage. Once I got the #3 coil firing and the fuel delivery opened all the way the engine RPM is about 30% higher the before. The engine really sounds like a totally different engine. The PTO engagement is quick, strong and even sounds different. I pull the engagement knob and "bang" the PTO locks in and the blades come up to full speed in less than one second. Push the PTO knob in and it unlocks just as quick! It takes a little while (3 seconds) for the big 72 inch deck to come to a complete stop though! So the only conclusion I can come to is the PTO doesen't like low power engagement with an engine missing one one cylinderand being starved for fuel! As for the wet grass cutting, I cut wet Bahia yesterday that was 1.5 feet tall with seed heads at 3-4 feet. It blew the cuttings out 25-30 feet with no clumping. My wife said it looked like had double or triple mowed it looked so good.