New Ferris

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by UnderCutters Lawn Service, May 20, 2007.

1. UnderCutters Lawn Service

UnderCutters Lawn Service LawnSite Member

This is my first year full time and I just locked in my 40th account. I've have a couple large commercial accounts and have had too use a friends Dixie ( junk!) to cut the past couple weeks. I think I am set on the 3100, 61 inch model, just not quite sure on the engine option. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

The Kaw is a good engine, but I think I would/will opt for the most horse power. You'll need it when the grass gets thick on you.

3. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

I tested the LC Kawi first but then opted for the 32HP B&S Vanguard. I'm glad I did. I have yet to bog it down. I have cut 10" tall grass down to 3" and it BARELY phased it. The only downside is that is uses about 5-6 gallons of gas every 4 hours which really isn't all that bad.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you may start a war here with this topic....

I'm running the exmark 52" it has a Kolher 23 hp and it does very well.

to say that it doesn't slow down in wet thick grass would be a lie....

make sure your confortable with your supplyer...... and he's close by.....

after I purchased my exmark my dealer acts like he has no time for me anymore and he's very unfrindly.... I went to get blades and he acted like I was bothering him...

DO your self a favor... before purchasing "what ever you decide on" Go around back and take a GOOD look in there shop... see if there employing kids
    if it's a mess and such.....

Good luck