1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New fertilization program

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TMGL&L, Mar 2, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Okay, so I want to go natural this year on my grass. Last year I had MAJOR problems with dandelions in the Spring and crabgrass in the Fall.

I hear good things about corn gluten... Like that its a pre-emergent, and actually kills small weeds like dandelions.

Can anyone give me the low down here...I want to know everything there is to know about this stuff.

-Does it work?
    -What does it do?...
    -And what doesn't it do?
    -Should I be using any other organic fertilizers along with it?
    -Are does anyone have any disaster stories with it?
    -How much should I use?
    -Can I spread it with a little walk behind broadcast spreader?
    -Are there any highly reputable brands I should look for?
    -Can I reseed right away or not?
    -Where are some online sources for information on it?

Any input here is greatly appreciated...I really, really want to make this property look good this year.
  2. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

bump !!!!!!!!!!
  3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried to fill in some answers.
  4. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. But of course I have tons of questions still...

From what I understand, it takes approx. 2 years for cgm to work at full capacity. Also, I have read that you can apply twice the recommended dose (say 40lbs/ per k) without burning the grass. Is this true? Shouldn't that speed up this process?

And in regards to my question about additional fertilizers, what should I use? I know cgm is high in nitrogen. Will the grass need more nitrogen than the cgm can provide?
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If you think in terms of what is the growing environment is like for the grass - instead of throwing food at it; then it becomes easier to understand the process.
    Ultimately you should be able to stop most applications altogether, if you built the soil correctly. Not a lot of money in that, but there is money in building sustainable turf for people. :)
  7. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Alright I'm going to do my research this week. Input here is still appreciated.

What should I do to spot shot weeds that still come up? If I only get 40%-60% control in year one then what do I do about the weeds that survive?
  8. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

pull'um or burn them carefully:blob2:
  9. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Pulling dandelions would take forever...What do you mean by "burn them"
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You may have to use broadleaf weed killer until you get things under control. Just 'spot spray', though. No need to spray everything - unless you have weeds everywhere. Dandelions that you see this Spring, germinated the previous summer, shortly after the seeds flew about. So if you see the seeds fly again this year perhaps some CGM will be in order, then.

Crabgrass once growing can be killed back with Cinnamin Bark Powder.