New Fertilizer Applicator

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by smassengill, Jun 4, 2009.

1. smassengill

smassengill LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I'm a new lawn care provider, been at it two years now. Used to be only mowing now wanna spread granular fertilizer.

1. is it okay to just use some scotts turfbuilder, like the different kinds for different seasons, because i dont know much about fertilizer

2. is there anything to the liquid stuff? is a hose and tank a pain in the butt?

Really need some help and appreciate any and all responses

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

do some research on it. Scotts is overpriced N. spread the fert and pre-emerge'. spray the weed control! get licensed in your state!

3. smassengill

so if i didnt wanna buy a sprayer what would you suggest? brand names? types? sorry if this is annoying im just looking for a starting point

4. lilmarvin4064

where are you from? State? soils vary. recommendations will vary from one region to the next. sandy, clayey, loam, alkaline, acidic, etc.....need more info

5. smassengill

Indiana...very "clayey"

PS
    thanks for the help

6. lilmarvin4064

do a few soil test on the yards you are treating. What is the calcium, magnesium, phophorus and potassium levels? The fertilizer you use depends on what time of year it is.

7. smassengill

okay...where is the best place to do soil tests?

and thats why i was looking at the scotts becuase they have different ferts for differents times of the year

8. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

you must not be licensed or you would know all the answers to the questions you are asking. if you do everything you need to do to become licensed you will learn alot along the way and will avoid big fines WHEN you get caught.

9. smassengill

is it required you get a license to spread fert in indiana?

10. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member