New Fertilizer Enhancer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Smallaxe, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Does this seem like it is a reasonable claim?

"In numerous university tests conducted at the University of Idaho, Idaho State University, the University of California and the USDA, Lawn Honey treatments have been proven effective in increasing water infiltration and soil nutrient levels while significantly reducing soil run-off and nutrient leaching. The unique formulation in Lawn Honey is the most effective, easy-to-use lawn care product available on the market. With Lawn Honey you can grow grass anywhere!"
    http://www.megagro.com/lawnhoney_works.htm

"...increasing... soil nutrient levels..." Sounds like it works along the lines of Cation Exchange (CE) sites that will capture the fertilizer that is spread on the lawn, whenever water is present... $30 covers 20K so that prices it at $1.50/k at the retail level...

Run-off and leaching is a big problem in the Spring, especially if the ground is still cold at app. time... and it is supposed to increase 'water infiltration', through a structure building process, which would benefit in the season to follow...

Application is recommended every 4-6 weeks...

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't read the article because the section you posted ended in such a ludicrous statement "with honey lawn you can grow grass anywhere" I figured it wasn't worth reading IMO Sounds like one of those patch magic commercials
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like it to good to be true. they all make there product sound great.

I guess the only way we will know is to send some to PCRiggles for some test.

I was involved with a CO that had a product that would make grass grow very good in clay. The people that used it in test said it worked very well. But they had problems with getting it aproved with the EPA.

Charles Cue

CHarles Cue

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  5. RigglePLC

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. Smallaxe

The megagro is gibberillin. The lawn honey is something that form CE sites at the molecular level, and forms polysaccarides when it comes in contact with water... Doesn't appear that too many people have experience with it... Oh well, thought I'd ask. thanks... :)

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Did anyone even bother to read the junk science offered up? Bonus points for anyone who can spot the inaccuracies.

8. RigglePLC

I couldn't find any articles from Utah about the Megagro product. Got a link Kiril?

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No .... but I am sure you can find plenty of articles on anionic polyacrylamide (PAM) and how it can be used for erosion control by reducing surface crusting/sealing in some soils.

With respect to water consumption/irrigation ... note lawn honey is not CL-PAM:

http://esce.ucr.edu/soilwater/spring2001.html

General review:

http://tucson.ars.ag.gov/isco/isco10/SustainingTheGlobalFarm/P046-Green.pdf

Environmental Toxicity:

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/23619/1/IND44161449.pdf

10. Smallaxe

Thanks for the site URL... great article...

"... There are actually hundreds of specific PAM formulations, depending on the polymer's chain length and the kinds of functional groups substituted along the chain. Shown in Fig.1 is one of the repeating monomer subunits in a PAM polymer. When a percentage of the amide (-CONH2) groups are substituted with other functional groups, the polymers will vary in ionicity and chemical reaction in the soil due to the substition. Anionic PAMs, some having more than 100,000 functional subunits..."

... If 'lawn honey' is not a PAM formulation, do you know what kind of formulation it claims to be...??

Linear is for infiltration and Cross-link holds 100 X its wieght in water... interesting stuff... :)