new fish pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by cutbetterthanyou, Jan 26, 2007.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont really do ponds but i am thinking of putting one in on a second piece of property i own mostly jut for fishing . my problem is it is way to expensive to run electric to it it is way back in the woods . i have two questions 1 does any one make a solar power fountain? 2 is how deep do you think it needs to be for some big fish (bass,crappy,maybe catfish) to survive the winter
  2. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Go 8 + feet for your region and species.
  3. cutbetterthanyou

Thanks for answering my question, have you have heard of the solor foutain or are they all electric. Should it be a straight 8 feet, or deeper at one end,or have deep spot or what? Someone told my to put old christmas trees or stumps w/ the roots so bait fish have somewhere to hide is this true?
  4. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

5. cutbetterthanyou

thank i'll check it out
  6. Malrex

Malrex LawnSite Member

Not sure how big your pond is going to be...but yes!! rootwads are great for fish habitat. I have heard people install old christmas trees in the pond for habitat, but something about that makes me uneasy..perhaps the decomposition of the needles. I would stick with logs, rootwads, and rock overhangs or rock caves. Hell, you could even stack some cinderblocks, put something over it and make a little cave in the middle.

Even some boulders underwater would help out. Not only for habitat, but also to break up the territory a bit (sometimes fish have an area they feel is their own, and some barriers help with that sort of boundary.)
  7. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

old christmas trees do make good habitat to hold bait fish and others. here is texas we use the old christmas trees (or any tree for that matter) to bait out fishing holes on large lakes, excellent to hold crappie. And also make the pond varible depth as bass and crappie move into shallower water in the spring to spawn(if you have a gravel or sand bottom)