New florida camcel reason

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontier-Lawn, May 12, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

today i was cutting one of my clients and he comes out to talk to me. he loves the job i do but due to state-farm raising his homeowners insure from $2500yr (166.00mt) to $4700yr ($391.00mt) so he cant afford to have it mowed anymore and today was his 30 day notice. thanks to fl hurricane's now i have to worry about clients canceling due to insurance hikes. good thing i rent. my insurance is only $400yr. any one Else in fl have this happen yet. i have seen his bill so he was not full of it.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly all Floridians should just be happy someone will still insure them at this point....

Dang I pay only $89 a month, that's on a 500k house. Of course we don't get many natural disasters up here.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I havent gotten that one yet, but we'll see. at this rate, I'm thinking it would pay to simply build a total silo underground with friggin bilge pumps in the silos, and 1000 gallons of diesel for the pumps and generators for backup power during a hurricane. no insurance necessary, ya got a cat 9 storm proofed home underground.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Dang!! My insurance is only 505 a year but thats only a 200k house. I cant imagine paying almost 400 a month for home insurance!

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

hoolie. what we save in insurance we make up for in prop taxes...:)

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Okay here is the scoop!!! Looking at my policy. We pay $183 every three months or a little over $60/month. For this amount we are insured up to $229,000 for house and $100,000 contents with a $500 deductible. Yes we had over $40,000 in damage from hurricane Charley, Frances, and their wonderful friends. We got major damage in all 5 storms but only had to pay one $500 deductible. So if the house burned down today (Knock on wood) we would recieve aprox $329,000. Now that being said I gave $74,000 for my house in 1999 and apraised this yr at $228,000. So my question is what has he added that more than doubled his premium? Sounds really odd to me. But Good Luck!!!

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Oh BTW we have State Farm. His situation sounds odd but to each his own!!!

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

:cry: Yeah they get us one way or another...

Actually the house is not 500k itself, I said that wrong.

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

on the news latst nite state farm is rasing 90% of rates in fl ands dropping 15,000 others

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Your statement is partially correct. Here is the link to the story for those that care.

http://www.local6.com/news/9208459/detail.html

If your going to make concrete jecture, please have a link or or a source that can be checked along with the statement made. :hammerhead: