1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Flowerbeds

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Marvelous Gardens, May 6, 2008.

1. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

I have noticed that lately my new clients are asking for us to install landscape fabric in there new landscapes, so we have been, and so far so good. I personally do not like to use it, because it makes a lot harder to re-work the beds. (usually we only use fabric on rock installs). How do some of you guys prepare your beds to help prevent weeds on new installs? Fabric? Give me step by step how you make a new bed assuming the top soil is good quality?

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the site, removing a thick layer of sod may help to remove a lot of weed seeds. Incorporate amendments that have been composted long enough to have killed many of the weed seeds. After planting apply a pre-emergent weed control that is labeled for the type of plants you are installing.
  3. lawntimenosee

lawntimenosee LawnSite Senior Member

We try to stay away from the fabrics too (pain iin the a**)

We mainly use pre-emergents when we can.
  4. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

What is a good pre-emergent to use, no matter if we use fabric or not we always apply preen to the flowerbed before we mulch or before we put down the fabric. What pre-emergent to you guys reccomend and where do you buy it?